Time for a new Hard drive

tommyb1

Solid State Member
Well, it's time. My Western Digital 40 gig 7200rpm has decided to start flaking out on me. Windows keeps freezing on me and programs will just stop responding for no reason. Ran a surface scan for bad sectors and found none, reformated and reinstalled twice - still get the same thing, every couple of hours. Time for a new HDD, but I don't want another lemon of a Western Digital. Needs to be EIDE ata100, 7200 rpm<, 40 gig<,

what do you guys suggest, i guess i'm looking for a ranking of the hard drive brands - maybe if you guys give me your top 5 favorites as far as reliability.

I've heard good things about IBM, Seagate, and WD, but i dont want a western digital - i got this one in Nov 2001. Hard drives should last more then 2 1/2 years!

Hmmm, it's not like your HD has had a bad life span. Depends how long you had it up and running for (in hours). Either way Western Digital hold quite a choke on the HD market, generally they make the best, but if you're really looking to go away from them then might I suggest the Maxtor Diamondmax Plus9 80GB, in all fairness it should cope with almost anyones downloading and software requirements, plus its reasonably priced (somewhere around the £60 mark). I've heard good things and it's a fast spinning drive (7200 rpm).

Though there are a wide range coming from IBM and Seagate, it's all much of a muchness, just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Nick

i suppose it has been running rather continously since Nov. of 2001, except for june and july of each year. if the price were right, i might try another western digital

I have had both a Western Digital and Maxtor hard drives now for a long time and would not go away from them. I have had great success with them and they run all the time. I would suggest Western Digital and if not that then Maxtor for sure..

I've had Western DIgital Hard Drives working for ages. Some will some won't. While one built at the same time will live 5 years another may break in 5 months. How do we know. 2 1/2 years is good enough.

tommyb said:
Well, it's time. My Western Digital 40 gig 7200rpm has decided to start flaking out on me. Windows keeps freezing on me and programs will just stop responding for no reason. Ran a surface scan for bad sectors and found none, reformated and reinstalled twice - still get the same thing, every couple of hours. Time for a new HDD, but I don't want another lemon of a Western Digital. Needs to be EIDE ata100, 7200 rpm<, 40 gig<,

what do you guys suggest, i guess i'm looking for a ranking of the hard drive brands - maybe if you guys give me your top 5 favorites as far as reliability.

I've heard good things about IBM, Seagate, and WD, but i dont want a western digital - i got this one in Nov 2001. Hard drives should last more then 2 1/2 years!
This isn't a hardrive problem,it's knowing how to use and maintain one.
If it boots to Windows than ! Look at it this way,
When your car squeeks you get a Lube,oil and filter.right.
need more let me know.or go to
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Go for matrox had them for 6 years and there have been great. Buy a harddrive cooler if it is on all this time exsentends the life and the preformace.

Back
Top Bottom