Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default time for a new computer

ok really want to get my own computer, since the computer my dad's gf has sucks and has pretty much no memory left on it. can't even upload my ipod stuff on here im lookin to spend around 1.5k to 2k on a new computer. still deciding if i want to get a lap top or not though. cant decide between mac or dell. some say vista kicks ass...some say it sucks ass. i will mainly be using the computer for music, and watching movies with some occasional online gaming.

my question...what would a good set up be? and please explain everything...im still trying to get the termonology down and trying to learn more about computers. is there maybe a computer brand out there other than dell or mac that is better?

swimm397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to ccasmoe00 Send a message via Yahoo to ccasmoe00
Default Re: time for a new computer

Most would say build one for the price range you're working with. Cause you'll be able to put something REAL nice together!!! But it seems as if you don't have the skills to build one on your own.

As for Mac and Dell, I personally don't care for either of them. I absolutely love Vista BTW!!! You'll get plenty of suggestions here shortly. Just make a wise decision!

7.1 High Definition Audio
500GB Hard Drive
8 USB (2.0)
ccasmoe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Golden Master

I would recommend building one yourself. It's a lot easier than you think, and we'll be happy to help out if you have any problems, here is a good guide to get you started: http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/ You can get a lot more for your money and it'll be
This the site to buy your parts off: http://www.newegg.com/
And what online gaming will you be doing? MMOs?, or COD4/C:SS etc?
You won't have to spend that much if you decide to do it yourself though. 1K max will be plenty.
Please answer these questions and then we can help you with your parts selection.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
In Runtime

All I can say is I wuv my Dell. It's a Dimension E521. My previouss Dell - the 2350 -was great too, but really loud, which is mainly why I got this one.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Solid State Member

ya i dont really think i want to build my own at the moment, maybe in the future. as for online gaming i might hit up WOW everyonce in a while if i subscribe again, ummm maybe Battlefield, but i most likely if i was playing games be playin some older school games...like command and conquor...warcraft and starcraft...and i've heard that some of the older games like those wont operate on vista. ya the computer im using now is a dimension 4600...its not bad...but she has so much stuff saved on the computer and it doesnt have firewire or USB 2.0 so i can't really run a external hard drive on it. and i know for sure she would flip her shit if i tried to install one of those in it. she already freaked out about me downloadin a program to get rid of the virus that we had.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Solid State Member

what are MMOs and COD4 and C:SS? sorry still tryin to learn all that.