Three PCs with workgroup/network problems

chery

Baseband Member
Hi I'm new and have tried to help a friend with his problem and don't know where to begin, but I did ask him to put his problem in writing, and here it is. Hope you can help. I did refer him to this forum, so you just might soon get a new member Here's what he wrote for me:

Three pc's (A, B and C), A and B running windows xp home edition and C windows xp profesional (all with service pack 2).
I have disabled windows firewall because i'm using zonealarm.
All three are connected together with cat5e cable and attached to a switch, also i have an isdn router to enable connection to the internet.
here is what is happening !
While A and B are accesing the whole workgroup without a problem, C gives me the following error when i'm trying to see workgroup computers: workgroup is not accesible. You might not have permission etc.
Right at this moment if i open an explorer window and manualy give the network address of the other two pc's i can access them without a problem even if i still can't view workgroup computers. Also if i first open a shared folder from my network places then i have apsolutly no problem to use the menu "view workgroup computers", but all this until the next restart of the machine !!! But even if all this is happening and because of this problem i can't have access to the internet while the other two have.
For me all this is very wired and i really can't understand why and offcourse i still can't have access to the internet. !!!

Hope you can help, thanks in advance, Chery

I'll ask him. This is new territory to me so I don't even know where or what that is. Will probably get back with you as soon as I find out. Thanks for your assistance, Dishdog.

Back
Top Bottom