Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
In Runtime

Cool Thoughts and suggestions on this computer build.

(Im a gamer and I love everything on ultra-high and this is my budget maxed out.)
I will be putting the 6 hard drives into RAID 5.
I will be putting my OS on the 2 SSD drives running RAID 0.
The optical drive will be connected to the sata card.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy28092
Default Re: Thoughts and suggestions on this computer build.

not a bad build but I would buy just 1 ssd instead of 2 you get no performance upgrade from raid 0 only larger size and by raiding them you lose trim so I would just buy 1 big ssd and thats not the greatest cooler I would go with this instead Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

also instead of the raid 5 id go with something like this for back up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136793

or this for a few extra dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136792

or if you really want raid for redundancy go with 2 of these in raid 1 or if thats too expensive here is the 1TB version its way cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533

all of the above drives have 64MB of cache and all come with 5 year warranty I have the 1.5 TB in my system for backup and I have a vertex II 80 gig ssd and I get sustained wright speeds from drive to drive of about 120MBps and bursts up to 160MBps these drives are very fast and put in raid 1 you would have the redundancy your looking for with way better performance

jeremy28092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Actually, and I used to say the same thing, you DO get a speed boost using SSDs in RAID 0, so if you have the money, go for it.

RAID 5 and large external drives aren't foolproof for backup, but I agree that going with RAID 5 would be a bad idea. Speaking from experience here, RAID 5 is just a little too much overhead for a home user. Save some dough and buy 4 matched drives and put them into RAID10 if the board supports it. My old RAID5 setup used to only muster 70-90MB/sec transfers (both read and write) and now with RAID 10, I hit 120 MB/sec easily and sustain 90MB for the rest. Plus RAID10 is more failure resistant than RAID5 is.

I also hesitate to see someone buying an LGA 1366 motherboard and CPU. You can get an 1155 board and a SandyBridge based i7 for less, and it'll perform way better than the old 1366 chips. Also first hand experience on this. Not to mention, the i7 2600's overclock like a sumbish.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy28092

I learned after i posted that you do get a performance upgrade and it is huge like double the speed because the whole drive acts like cache of a platter drive sorry for the misinformation

SYSTEM:amd phenom II 955 BE, 4 gigs of DDR3 cas 6 RAM, ASUS m478t-e, OCZ vertex 2 80 gig SSD, 1.5TB western digital caviar black, seasonic 650 watt gold certified fully modular psu, 2x HD4870 in crossfire X, coolermater HAF932, coolermaster V6 cpu cooler
jeremy28092 is offline   Reply With Quote