Thinkpad questions (first project)

new2Computers

Solid State Member
I'm currently in the process of modding the crap out of my lenovo thinkpad t61. I'm adding a second hard drive, more RAM, an updated video card, and a new CPU. I have a couple questions though, as this is my first attempt at a project.

First off, I've seen several places that the max supported RAM is 4GB. If i added more, would it be recognized and used, or would it be a waste of money?

Second, my laptop currently uses an Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 / 2 GHz CPU. Would it be possible to upgrade to an i5 or maybe even an i7 CPU, or would the other components still drag the speed down?

Third, I'm considering switching out the motherboard as well, but i'm unsure if i can find a better one that will also fit my laptop chassis. Is there a site i could visit that would have more information?

if anyone could help me out with this, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

I'm currently in the process of modding the crap out of my lenovo thinkpad t61. I'm adding a second hard drive, more RAM, an updated video card, and a new CPU. I have a couple questions though, as this is my first attempt at a project.

Hope you are not spending too much money on that thing. A new PC would be preferred.
First off, I've seen several places that the max supported RAM is 4GB. If i added more, would it be recognized and used, or would it be a waste of money?

Waste of money. It will not recognize it, if it will boot at all.
Second, my laptop currently uses an Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 / 2 GHz CPU. Would it be possible to upgrade to an i5 or maybe even an i7 CPU, or would the other components still drag the speed down?

No. That computer doesn't have the socket or the chipset to support it.
Third, I'm considering switching out the motherboard as well, but i'm unsure if i can find a better one that will also fit my laptop chassis. Is there a site i could visit that would have more information?

Usually laptop motherboards are made for only a handful of laptops. It's because they need to actually fit. It's not like on desktops where you can put pretty much any ATX style motherboard inside any ATX style case. So you will not find a better motherboard to put in it.

My advice to you:
Stop whatever project you are doing. That laptop is dying(in terms of being outdated). Save the money and energy for a new one. If you really want to put new life in that old thing, get an SSD. SSD's are properly the best upgrade you can give an old computer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom