Thinking of starting my own computer business...suggestions, help, info...thanks

....and maybe get a special going where like depending on what condition there old pc was in, give them a discount for me taking there old system and building them a new one...

I do that sometimes also. They can trade in their old system and get a discount for a newer system. I tend not to try to get too many systems older than a P2 system now though, and give away anything less than that. All those systems can do is word processing, and if you are patient, web browsing. I figure someone that doesn't have any money to spend on a PC can put it to good use since it's free.

Yeah bro i'm 14... If I were you I would set up a site with a faq or something... get the site going strong in your neigbhorhood... gain some rep in your town then maybe get some 100 ads printed and just stick 'em everywhere with those little tear off numbers... have a cell # and like a voicemail # and an email or fax. Also business cards. Ask your local delis if you can leave your business cards on their counter or something... Have a wide range of services like upgrading, custom builds, repairs, viruses, software, et cetera. Also have a catch line like computer running slow? Upgrade to blazing speeds et cetera.

I had a website I used to upkeep for my "business", but it got to be too much to update, and not enough people looking at it to do so. It is a freewebs site. I don't know much HTML, and don't have a bunch of money to pay for a website.

http://www.freewebs.com/jesusfrk611

It's still up, but hasn't been updated in the past 5 or 6 months.

EDIT: Just looked at my site again, last updated 1/27/07. The PC prices are a little high now IMO for what they have... I actually sold all those that are listed for like $15-$20 each I think, lol.

Shouldn't this be in the Social lounge?

Just a question, don't get off topic.

Shouldn't this be in the Social lounge?

Just a question, don't get off topic.

I know....im sorry I put it here...but most people come to the hardware and software section other than the social lounge...thats why i decided to put it here...i know that i dont browse the social lounge...im always here in this forum group....so sorry for the inconvenience...if the mods want to move me they can...sorry for the trouble if any

Another thing, you must make sure all the copies of Windows you install on systems are legal...it can get you into problems if they aren't. If you plan to go all Linux you will have a hard time selling them, just to let you know. I've sold a few Linux systems, but they took forever to sell. The basic users know how to use Windows, and don't want to change, and that will be the majority of people you sell to. There is also the crowd that needs Windows for compatibility with a program.

Good luck to you on this though.

wow...you guys...like I'm not even close to thinking of doing this on a scale that you are thinking I'm going to be doing this on...I just mean fixing and building computers for close friends and family....people I trust...if it expands from there, then I will go ahead and see whats next, but theres no way this will be anywhere near full time, and theres no way im renting a place, i dont have that kind of money. I'm starting small anyways, so, i dont think it will too big of a deal to just have it in my extra room in my house...i live in a town of about 3500 people, and im sure that like less 1 percent of them even need a computer since half are over the damn age of 65.......thanks though, but im just not looking at that big of scale right now

Wellin which case go for it as that is what i do know except i dont realy charge my friends /family for repairs unless i need parts in which case i charge them the price of the part plus .
Even tho everyone is over 65 that dont mean they wont have computers as they can use them to stay in touvh with family/friends

But yeah i would do that and rebuilding older machines .Things like p4 1.7ghz with 512mb ram and a 40-80gb hd are great for home users who need a word processor and an internet machine yet you cant buy machines like that in the shops yet you can build them dirt cheap . Another thing ensure everything you are installing is legal as this can run you into bother
You may wanna look on ebay to get bulk loads of parts like 10 hard drives seeing as you save more when you buy in bulk .
And if you are unsure about something ask here :D as we are all happy to help

you guys...im keeping my but parked in this forum....i was over at tomsharware forum and just because im a "new user/noob" there, they keep telling me to f-off and calling me dirt and stuff and its just getting annoying...so thanks to all for your help!!!

I do a similar thing,I fix friends and family computers and some electronics (DVD Players,Stereos.......) for free.People also donate electronics and computers to me aswell.I Sell computers,computer parts and electronics on ebay too (i make about $200 AUD A month).Also (Im not sure in america or otherplaces) at council cleanup time(Where the neigbourhood put's all there junk and rubbish on the sidewalk for the council to pickup and take away,only happens twice a year) i walk around with my wheelbarrow picking up computers and electronics,You will be suprised what you will find.Markets and swap meets are good also for buying and selling electronics and computers.Also buying old computer parts on ebay in bulk saves money.Also as muz said,when your unsure about something,just ask us here at the computerforums :D.I Find aslong as your honest,dont charge family members and close friends,sell parts at competitive prices and have a good clean and neat work area,your mini-bussiness will prosper.You wont become a millionare,but you will have a bit more cash in you pocket :)

Back
Top Bottom