Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Default Thinking of going with Xeon...

I'm getting ready to build a new computer and I'm debating right now whether to switch over to Xeon processors. I thought I would get some feedback.

Right now I'm running a Core2 X6800 @ 2.93GHz, 2GB RAM, and a GeForce 7950 GX2. However I started to look at what other processors I could go with and I came across the Xeon E5410. On Newegg that are about $270 and with a Intel 5400 (Skulltrail) I could run two of these (8 physical cores) with up to 16GB RAM.

I do play some games like MS Flight Sim X and FEAR (that's really the only games I play on the computer) and I also program a lot and run BIONC. For those of you that don't know BIONC is a distributed computing project run my Berkeley University. So my processing requirements are pretty high, but I figured that even those these CPUs only run at 2.33GHz with 8 cores it should be pretty fast. I don't OC, so that's not a concern and I do realize that these were designed for servers.

Would I be right in assuming that 8 cores would actually handle a high work load better than a Quad-Core with hyperthreading? Pros & Cons on using the Xeon for my requirements? Thanks in advance.
__________________

dmarciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

That SkullTrail is arguable. DDR2 RAM, PCI-E 1.1...Just really cheap. Much less perks than I would expect out a "gaming" board. I would suggest going I7 or sticking with S775. Xeon on S771 is more server based. 8 Physical cores is a nice spec on paper but you really don't see the performance boost in the OS. I'd say go for an upper end quad. The Q9550 is a nice one, and if you plan to overclock, grab a Q9560. Same spec as the Q9550 with a higher multiplier.

One of our members uses a S775 Xeon in place of a Core2Duo because of its naturally low server-based voltages. He overclocks it pretty hard. But the Xeon X3220 is about the closest you'll get with Xeon on Quad cores. It wouldn't perform as well as a Q9 series Yorkfield on the right board.
__________________

__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
Ronspc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 688
Send a message via AIM to Ronspc
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

rep for you^
__________________
Dell motherboard, 2 hard drives 8600GT AMD Athlon

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM
Ronspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
That SkullTrail is arguable. DDR2 RAM, PCI-E 1.1...Just really cheap. Much less perks than I would expect out a "gaming" board. I would suggest going I7 or sticking with S775. Xeon on S771 is more server based. 8 Physical cores is a nice spec on paper but you really don't see the performance boost in the OS. I'd say go for an upper end quad. The Q9550 is a nice one, and if you plan to overclock, grab a Q9560. Same spec as the Q9550 with a higher multiplier.

One of our members uses a S775 Xeon in place of a Core2Duo because of its naturally low server-based voltages. He overclocks it pretty hard. But the Xeon X3220 is about the closest you'll get with Xeon on Quad cores. It wouldn't perform as well as a Q9 series Yorkfield on the right board.
But aren't they dropping the I7 with in a year?

Link
__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

The only Xeons I'd recommend going for unless you are actually building a server are the LGA775 Xeons. They are identical to their C2 equivalents but will lower voltage standards, in other words, better overclocking capabilities.

Xeon E3110 = E8400
Xeon X3220 = Q6600
Xeon X3230 = Q6700
Xeon X3320 = Q9300
Xeon X3330 = Q9400
Xeon X3350 = Q9450
Xeon X3360 = Q9550
Xeon X3370 = Q9650
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Ronspc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 688
Send a message via AIM to Ronspc
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
The only Xeons I'd recommend going for unless you are actually building a server are the LGA775 Xeons. They are identical to their C2 equivalents but will lower voltage standards, in other words, better overclocking capabilities.

Xeon E3110 = E8400
Xeon X3220 = Q6600
Xeon X3230 = Q6700
Xeon X3320 = Q9300
Xeon X3330 = Q9400
Xeon X3350 = Q9450
Xeon X3360 = Q9550
Xeon X3370 = Q9650
so am i safe to say that you got the dual core equivalent of a Xenon?
__________________
Dell motherboard, 2 hard drives 8600GT AMD Athlon

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM
Ronspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

Quote:
so am i safe to say that you got the dual core equivalent of a Xenon?
I have an E3110, which is an E8400, which is part of the C2D line. Is a Xenon in any way related to a C2D?
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Default Re: Thinking of going with Xeon...

I hope that the phasing out of the i7 will drop the price on the remaining ones and I can't wait to see what the price of those LGA1366 6-cores are going to cost...
__________________

dmarciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0