Thinking of building my own computer

Computergamer18

Solid State Member
So, for over a few weeks now it has suddenly come to my attention to now build a computer, and so, I got my old PC from the loft, can't exactly remember the specs on it, but it might indicate you guys to think that this computer is exactly over 8 years old, so giving you a slight hint of possibly how old the specs are on the thing. Anyway, I've been doing some practice on that, and it has gone fine so far, a little loose round the edges, but hopefully I'll pick up on it again to see how things go.

Problems I'm a little worried about.

1) Afraid of being shocked possibly by the computer, like you need one of those static things or touch metal before delving into your PC equipment. I know all is fine if you follow the procedures correctly, but I just get a little worried quickly that I may get a bit of static and the whole of the electronics in the computer go dead, or maybe one of the pieces for it.

2) Secondly, knowing where the cables go. With the old one I was fiddling about with, me and my Dad had trouble knowing where the cables went. However, it didn't dawn on us, but apparently there was wording underneath every slot, but it was nonetheless still confusing seeing as the writing was incredibly small, even I had trouble trying to read it myself.

3) Nothing really to be mentioned here, other than the fact is that I may need to know a few things before starting my big adventure on knowing how to build a system. I may need a few tips, possibly somebody to write out a few guidelines on what to do, if anybody can manage that for me, it would be a pleasure.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, should of listed it down as one of the main problems, oh well. Long story short, I also having a problem with what specs to buy, I have no knowledge of what to buy. What is it that I need to get in order for my computer to run at full performance?> Will it be high or low end computer? etc all those basic questions that need to be answered. I'm just clueless what conponents I need to buy for my computer that I'm going to build.

Sorry for the ridiculous questions and help, I know I can be a simpleton sometimes.

Note: May of left a few words out, spelling errors, etc Had to write it out quickly because I am going out, so sorry for that.

Last edited:
You're not asking ridiculous questions at all. However, like most people asking for help with a first build, you failed to provide 2 vital pieces of information...

1) What is the limit you wish to spend? How much money you have to work with,
will make a huge difference in the parts that will be recommended.

2) What will this computer be used for? Just websurfing & e-mail? School?
Productivity? Gaming? Here too, the parts people recommend will depend heavily
on what your needs are.

Since this is your very first build, and you are, as you said, "clueless", it may be a good idea to make your first build a kit. All the parts are chosen for you, packaged together, and shipped to you. All have been carefully chosen for compatibility, etc.

Obviously, the more money you spend on a kit, the more powerful your computer will be. Give that some thought.

Well, not exactly sure with the first question. You see I am entitled for benefits in this country, and I've applied for it, but seeing as I've missed out on a few months of payment it is unsure what I will be getting back dated, could be less then I first thought, or could be more, so it is determined on that really, and when I do get my money I will properly answer your first question. As for the second question you left down, it will be strictly used for gaming. Also looking to build a high-end computer with a quite expensive motherboard and CPU, maybe also including the case with that too as it has to be spacious and with a lot of parts to go fit in additionally.

Thanks for the last part, I'll keep it in my thoughts as it is very important for me, and something I wish to do in a certain occupation, always loved my computers. Anyway, Thanks, mate.

Hameister said:
:lol: Ha, that's great, thanks for the laugh. My question to OS-Wiz, was just a sarcastic joke, but thanks for the illustration anyway. :lol:

I did think that you were maybe being sarcastic but posted the picture just to be on the safe side :D

P.S. I had to delete a few of your ':lol:'s. Hope you don't mind :p

Back
Top Bottom