Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Haku Mioje Send a message via Yahoo to Haku Mioje
Default thinking about upgrading my home pc, any thoughts?

This is the set up I have now
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ
Newegg.com - HP Black 22X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM SATA 22X Multiformal DVD Writer
Newegg.com - Rosewill R604TSB-N 3 x120mm Cooling Fan Pre-Installed on the TOP,Front and Rear ,ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 450W Power Supply
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
Newegg.com - Sunbeam PSU-H680-REV-US-BL 680W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250 512MB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

this is what im thinking about upgrading to
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
Newegg.com - Palit NE5S450SF1101 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Sonic 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

whats everyone think about this?

Haku Mioje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: thinking about upgrading my home pc, any thoughts?

Nice, seems like a decent increase of power. I would a least go with a superclocked GTX 460, it's both cheap and powerful or go with a GTX 560 which is slightly more expensive.

Xtreme2damax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
JCB
Daemon Poster

looks like a nice upgrade, I would also recommend a SSD hard drive if you can afford it, It will give you a bit more of a speed bost
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Yeah an SSD for the operating system if you can afford it, the only bad thing about SSD's is that they are a bit on the expensive side right now. It's also not a good idea to use them for data or other files where you would be constantly reading/writing from and to the HDD. May I ask why not Intel for the CPU? Intel may be a bit more expensive but it usually offers the best bang for the buck as far as raw performance is concerned. The Sandy Bridge cpu's are amazing, better than what AMD is offering and the upcoming Ivy Bridge is going to be pure awesome with Intel's new transistor technology.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Haku Mioje Send a message via Yahoo to Haku Mioje

well i dont have an AMD style MB so i dont want to do a pretty much complete rebuild just upgrade some of the general parts for performance... and i was also thinking about adding a SSD drive, just forgot to add it to the list
Haku Mioje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
JCB
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme2damax View Post
Yeah an SSD for the operating system if you can afford it, the only bad thing about SSD's is that they are a bit on the expensive side right now.
You can pickup a good SSD for cheap on ebay, You can get a 16gb drive as this should be enough for an OS
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Baseband Member

That's good, however I tend to avoid ebay myself. I don't really like the company, the fees, the fact you need a Paypal account and you also have to link your Paypal account to your bank account. Not to mention my account is restricted due to an unpaid fee from when I sold my old PC.

That's moot anyways since this isn't about me, and the op can use ebay. I'd be careful not to get scammed, ebay is a popular place to advertise fake/counterfeit Chinese knockoffs.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Beta Member

good upgrade
lina20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Solid State Member

Man your paying almost half the cost of a new computer with that upgrade! If you're going to pay that much it seems like you'd want to make a mobo transition for DDR3 at the very least, but just my 2 cents.
TheByteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheByteKnight View Post
Man your paying almost half the cost of a new computer with that upgrade! If you're going to pay that much it seems like you'd want to make a mobo transition for DDR3 at the very least, but just my 2 cents.

I totally agree.
Your upgrade seems fine. But if it were me, I'll change the mobo. If I was on a budget, I would get a cheaper CPU and still change the mobo.

thiefraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote