Thinking about a new Vid Card, what to get?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I made an upgrade to my PC, and now I think it might be time for me to upgrade my vid card.

I currently have 9800GTX and it's been working great for the last 17 month that I had it. The main game that I play is WoW and surprisingly I am not getting enough FPS as I would like to. I have duel 24” monitors with a 1920 by 1200 rez. I play with a “window mode” & “full” enabled, so that I can just mouse over to the 2nd screen if I need to do any type of browsing. That function alone I believe takes up a lot of my FPS, but it so convenient that I'm just unable to go back.

I am looking for something that will significantly increase my FPS. My 1st choice is “GTX 295 FTW Edition” $499 from newegg. But $500 is a good amount of money to be spending on a vid card. It's been a while since I did any sort of research on the latest computer parts and really don't know what is the best solution in my situation. How much better GTX295 vs GTX 285 1GB & 2GB versions? If there is not a big difference VS ATI and Nvidia I would like to stick with the Nvidia card (EVGA).

Thanks

vga-3dmark06.png

http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts_3dmark_vantage_06/

9800GTX = 11,898 score

4870 512MB (not the one i posted) = 12,935 score

Core 216 = 12,726

now, IMO i would go for the 4870 1GB that i posted over the 216, but i am partial to ATI.

(this is just a benchmarking comparison i found)

EDIT: these numbers are for DX 9, DX 10 chart is also at the link i posted

Thank you for that graph Sniper,

Since I never did any type of bench marking these numbers don't really make sense to me. How much performance in terms of FPS?

I'm just looking for something that will give me a really noticeable boost in WoW over my 9800gtx :) I do as well have games like Crysis & GTA IV that I play from time2time.

wait until Sept 10th for the AMD refresh, I have a feeling there will be some stupid-retarded deals out there for existing cards (both green and red) with the introduction of the new AMD cards...

Wait for AMD's DX11 cards on September 10th.

Or wait for Nvidia's DX11 cards in 2199.

Thank you everyone for your reply's. I will wait until September 10th. Any idea when will the GTx300 series will come out? From what I read the 300 series will be an incredible breakthrough.

i got dibs on ATI comming up with some cards that will own Nvidia...

they sure made up alot of ground this past gen cards...

Back
Top Bottom