Thinking about a new build

colt1911

Solid State Member
I currently have a Z87 Sabertooth running with a I7 4770k with 16 gigs of Corsair 1866 memory. I was looking at going to the Skylake 6700k and ddr4 memory . Would this be a good upgrade ? Also what motherboard would you recommend?

the performance difference between the devil's canyon i7 (4790k) and the 6700k, at stock clocks, heralded about a 9-10% overall boost in performance, and a minor improvement in instructions-per-clock. This information was current as of the 6700k being released - however board manufacturers have since had a rethink with BIOS coding due to a problem they discovered; so it could be different now.

In my opinion, the 4770k is still just as relevant in the performance CPU market as it was before skylake, especially if you're using it to game. Unless you yearn to be running whatever the latest thing is, you'll be fine with that 4770k for some time yet.

If you're looking for a performance boost, is that 4770k overclocked?

Thank you for responding. I do not have the 4770k overclocked as I don't know a lot about overclocking . I usually buy the fastest cpu that I can afford.

You think the 4770K is too slow? What can you possible use of software that demands more performance.

What are you doing with the system?

Can't see any realistic benefits with that upgrade unless you're using the CPU to render, and the task is time critical. Even if you're trying to "fold" with it, graphics cards do it much faster anyway.

Back
Top Bottom