Thinking About Building A Laptop 17" Too Impractical?

j_v_z

Baseband Member
Hey all, thinking of building a laptop, well, more like buying a barebones system and installing my own cpu, memory and harddrive. I always thought i would like to have a 17" screen on a laptop but i have heard some people say the 17" is too large. what is the general concensus? do you think a 17" is too large and impractical to cary with you on a regular basis? im a student and would be taking it with me to and from school and traveling on the road occasionally with it. Also, im looking to spend around $1000 total, give or take a little, what processor would you guys reccommend? i will probably be piecing it together from pricewatch.com

naw, i can save money by not buying the OS, and get exactly what i want, also i have a q6600 in my desktop, i need somthing that will be compareable in a laptop

ok well my laptop is 15.4" wide and for a lappy i think that is big enough

i would only every buy a 17" one if i was using it as a desktop replacement and it was just to be used in my house , i wouldn't buy a 17" one to take to school with me everyday cos that is pretty big to be carrying with you at all times

and why do you need comparable laptop specs ? before this one my laptop was loads slower than my desktop but i didnt mind cos i just used my laptop for internet
and its near impossible to build your own laptop the only way to get a laptop you want is by configuring using something like dell

i dont know, i never buy 5400rmp hd's which it seems like a lot of the laptops come with. also, i want min 2gig ram, and a $200+/- processor

15.4" is practical
17" is not

you just need to decide where the laptop will be used and for what lengths of time. im considering a 17" one for uni as i want a powerful desktop replacement.

j_v_z;8****4 said:
i dont know, i never buy 5400rmp hd's which it seems like a lot of the laptops come with. also, i want min 2gig ram, and a $200+/- processor

yes but they put them in for good reason
1)consumes less battery
2)less heat generated which is important in laptops
3)less vibration and sound

although you can get some 7200 laptop drives

Back
Top Bottom