Are these system voltages good?

ukballer1012

Baseband Member
The purple wire leading to the motherboard read to 5.00V mark exactly (I'm not using a multimeter with digital display, so it might be off by .01 or so) when the both turned off and on.
The green wire read 4.40V (with the computer turned off) and it read ~.050V (with the computer on).
The gray wire read 0.00 volts (with the computer turned off) and it read 4.70V (with the computer turned on.)
And, while the computer was on, one red (which looked sort of pink) read 5.00V, one yellow read 11.5 V, and one orange read 3.20V.

My house got struck by lightning and I'm trying to determine whether or not my PSU was damaged in the whole ordeal.

They all sound normal to me. If your power supply got popped, there's more going on than just wayward voltages in most cases. Are you seeing any suspect behavior from the system?

They all sound normal to me. If your power supply got popped, there's more going on than just wayward voltages in most cases. Are you seeing any suspect behavior from the system?
Oh yeah...lol If a window is minimized i have to click it twice for it to pop up, a lot of programs are unstable, or are crashing, just stuff like that.

Do the usual things, MemTest, set BIOS to defaults (undo any CPU overclocking, etc) drop overclocking on any video cards, run hard drive tests, run a complete chkdsk on the system, etc. If all of that is completed and the problem exists, possibly reload the system, but you need to find if there's underlying hardware at fault.

I had re-imaged my computer to factory settings with the cd that comes with the computer. I had done this to troubleshoot my computer because the NIC wasn't working, but after I did it still didn't work and I'm at where I am now.

You'll want to do something other than that. Chances are the reimage process doesn't actually wipe everything out, if you can, grab a utility disc like Hirens Boot CD and run GWSCAN from it (Hard Drive tools, then two menus under that, GWSCAN is listed) and run the erase option (quick is fine) then reinstall. If that still doesn't fix it, it's definitely likely something got fried.

Back
Top Bottom