Are these components compatible with eachother to make a good gaming computer

P.C.

Beta member
Hi, I'm thinking about purchaseing or building a gaming computer for around 2000 dollars. The Cyberpower gamer Extreme 2000 with the following hardware seems like a good deal. Are these components that I've configured compatible with eachother? I've also posted this thread on another Computer-Forum though I did not get as many responses yet.

Tower: NZXT Mid-tower gaming case (no lights -simple case)

Cooling: Maximum 120mm cooling fan
Asetek liquid CPU cooling system
2X Vigor isurf II Hard disk drive cooling system

Processor: Intel i7 core x860 2.8 GHz (100 dollar factory 30% overclock)

RAM: 8gb PC1333 DDR3 PC3 (corsair dominator)

Hard disk Drive: 1X 300GB Gaming Western VelociRaptor

Video Card: 1X ATI Radeon 5870 HD 1gb

Data Hard Drive: none (do I need one for gaming)

Optical Drive: LG 22X

Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] MSI P55-GD65 Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI [+0]

Power Supply: In-Win Commander IRP 850w (CrossfireX compatible)

What exactly is a network card? Do I need it? Will 850 watts of power be enough? Also would a better graphics card be an Nvidia Geforce GT285
Any answer will be appreciated. Thanks

I'm trying to run games such as Crysis/Far Cry as well as Flight Simulater X perhaps. I'd also like to purchase a video card that supports DirectX11. This was configured on Cyberpower PC's website.

By the way, is it true that a smaller monitor (17-19 inch) would yield better graphics than a larger (22-24 inch) monitor as there would be a smaller area for the video card to operate in?

A network card enables you to access the internet by connecting a network cable to a modem, while a wireless card enables you to access the internet from a modem connected to a wireless router. Your motherboard will have a basic network adapter for accessing the internet. You will need a wireless network card if you want to access the internet wirelessly.

Go with the ATI card, the article VINMAN46 cites isn't the first time I've seen the 5870 come out against the 285.

850 Watts is going to more than enough for that setup. You could even keep that PS if you decide to run 2 cards at some point since your motherboard supports crossfire and SLI, which are ATI's and Nvidia's architectures which support dual cards.

Larger monitors display more information, so it will take more system resources to run large monitors at there native resolutions. You can always reduce the resolution even though you have a large monitor, but with the build your talking about you will be able to run some pretty intense games at some pretty respectable framerates even at the highest resolutions.

Is it necessary to purchase an internal data hard drive? If necessary, could I just purchase an external data hard drive at another time? Also, is it worth it to get a factory overclock to 3.6 GHz or should I just overclock myself? In terms of operating systems, Is windows 7 Ultimate any better than Windows 7 Home?

You just need one hard drive.

I'm guessing someone suggested that you get another hard drive for data storage. This is a good idea for backing up information in case the hard drive that has your operating system on it fails, but you can always add an internal or external hard drive to serve this purpose if you are storing information that you really don't want to lose

If this is just a gaming rig, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only real advantage I see as far as deciding between Ultimate and Home when it comes to Windows 7 is that home doesn't support Windows XP mode, which allows you to run legacy programs in a virtualized XP environment. I got Professional for this reason. If you are not an advanced user, Home should be fine. A quick "windows 7 versions" google search would be a good idea to see if you there are any features in higher versions you may need. Know that if you are a student (or know one with an email address) you can get a hold of windows 7 for just $30

Back
Top Bottom