Thermal Paste and CPU.

I've just got my replacement processor today!!! Quick question because i'm installing this one myself. I wasn't sure about the thermal compound. It is a retail e6600 with fan and heatsink. It didn't come with any thermal compound but under the heatsink there are 3 blackish looking spots about 1 inch long and a half inch wide. I'm guessing this would be the thermal paste correct?

3 blackish looking spots?... Hmm...

I'm guessing so though, yeah. When placing the heatsink on, move it around to spread the paste across the entire surface, and then lock it into place.

Ah, yeah, its right then :p

Yep, just slide it so that its spread all around the CPU die. A few couple of movements should do it, and then lock it.

No problems :)

When your first power it up, go into BIOS (Del at bootup), and wait a few minutes, and check the temperatures (Most BIOS's allow you to so this).
If the CPU stabalises at a rather low temperature and doesn't go up anymore, then the heatsink and paste is working as it should :)

Depends on the processor you are getting. They all have different operating temperatures.

The new Core 2 Duo's should run as cool as AMD 64's, so around 30 degrees C is about right

Back
Top Bottom