thermal past keep or replace

teamo1

Baseband Member
I am building a new core i7computer. I have an aftermarket cooler that I am going to use in place of the stock cooler. Should I remove the factory thermal paste and use the stuff that came with the cooler, or is it okay to stick with what is installed on the chip already?

When replacing/removing heatsinks, it's always best to use fresh thermal paste. Be sure to thoroughly clean the old paste off the CPU. You can use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or even fingernail polish remover.

I know that I should use fresh paste if I am removing an existing cooler but this is a new build. I am using an aftermarket cooler and will be doing a little overclocking. Just wondering if it is necessary to use the paste that came with the cooler or if the factory stuff is just as good. I haven't yet opened the cpu box but I assume that they all come with the paste pre-applied.

I used isopropyl for when I did mine, worked a treat, unlucky for me a dropped the cpu and bent few pins - but soon fixed them all with a sewing pin ;)

anyway, I tend to leave the stock paste on the cpu, but as your going to oc, it might be best using something like Arctic Silver

The CPU will not have any thermal paste applied to it if it's new in the box. Only the heatsinks come with pre-applied thermal paste.

Back
Top Bottom