Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
Yes, most all motherboards have BIOS settings that will automatically shut down the system in case of an overheated CPU.
is there such a thing as using too much thermal paste...? the cpu I got was practically stuck to the heatsink, I had to clean off the excess paste from the side with alcohol and a q-tip, then wait for the alcohol to seep in between the heatsink and the cpu in order to pry them apart...
he had the thermal paste gobbed on, while I usually just use a thin coat, gobbing it on didn't seem to do much good, as it was still overheating and shutting down on him...