Is there such thing as...

ToneZ1

Beta member
alright, i have the standard stereo (composite) cables for the X-Box 360. You know, the red and the white cord. anywayz, I have a surround sound stereo system that does not have optical inputs. it is the Logitech z5300e if you want to check it out. anywayz, i was wondering if a composite audio to optical audio converter exist, or somethin like that. I don't know if that is the correct name or anything. I have a converter that accepts the red and white outputs from the 360 and makes it acceptable to ONLY the right front and left front speakers, but this is a 5.1 speaker system (2 front, 2 rear, 1 center, and subwoofer). so, like this "converter" is there a converter that allows audio to be sent to ALL speakers and not just the 2 front? thanks.

Ok, I had to read this a few times, but let me get this straight. From your 360 you have composite stereo cables, to which you want to connect to a 5.1 stereo sytem that DOES NOT have optical. Right? If so you don't need a converter. Logitech's site says nothing about optical, at least I couldn't find it. It does come with a 360 console converter, and it also has an input/output selctor swith to transform from stereo to 5.1. It's a very good speaker set-up, good choice, but I don't think you have a problem. Also, I've never seen an optical to stereo (or vise versa) adapter, and I don't think it's possible, or at least not yet.

You can use a converter for the composite to a 3.5 mm jack and plug that in. That's what I do for my z5500 speakers.

2xphono-3.5mm.jpg

to have TRUE 5.1 Surround you will HAVE to have use the optical cable. It probaly wont even play out of all the speakers either just the front right and front left. a 3.5mm jack has ONLY 2 channels(2 speakers) thats why for 5.1 there is 3 3.5mm jacks to plug in because there is 6 speakers.

you CAN split the output of the xbox but 3 speakers will play the right channel the other 3 will play the left channel

You can use a converter for the composite to a 3.5 mm jack and plug that in. That's what I do for my z5500 speakers.

2xphono-3.5mm.jpg

where do I plugg the 3.5 mm jack? i don't see a space for it on the subwoofer or no where. wait... in the "inputs" on the sound card?

if you plug on of those converters into the input of you sound card and plug the xbox cables in you can rout that input to you computer speakers

it all depends on the surround sound system i can only refer to dvd surround sound here and hope its the same coz i have some dvds that were recorded in 2 channel sound but if i connect my dvd player to my surround sound using a normal red and white cable my surround sound has a built in decoder which splits the sound up and pushes it out through all 5.1 speakers where as the same dvd on my mates dvd player which connects through 3 red and white leads it does not decode it coz his surround sound does not have a decoder in so.

if your surrround sound has a built in decoder then this will not be true

(quote) to have TRUE 5.1 Surround you will HAVE to have use the optical cable. It probaly wont even play out of all the speakers either just the front right and front left. a 3.5mm jack has ONLY 2 channels(2 speakers) thats why for 5.1 there is 3 3.5mm jacks to plug in because there is 6 speakers.

you CAN split the output of the xbox but 3 speakers will play the right channel the other 3 will play the left channel (quote)

Back
Top Bottom