is there a dual screen driver for ATi on Ubuntu 8.10??

TheAdmira1

Baseband Member
(SOLVED) is there a dual screen driver for ATi on Ubuntu 8.10??

i know no 1 really uses linux on here... but does anyone know of any driver that supports dual screens for a Asus AEH4870X2 running Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit?

Hi,

That first statement isn't totally true. I really use linux a lot, and so does DJ CHRIS. There are some others but not as much as maybe me. So back to your question. I don't think that you need a driver to set up dual monitors in Ubuntu 8.10. What happens when you go to System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution? You should be able to set it up from there. If not then post back and we can figure out what is going wrong.

Also, you might want to go to System -> Admin -> Hardware Drivers and make sure that you have all the drivers for your hardware.

Cheers!

good deal... well no that didnt work... I had the proprietary ATi driver that was automatically added to my system, however i didnt recognize my second screen as a second desktop... so i lookied into it alot last night...

If you are having this same problem, visit the ATi site, download the nessecary drivers, and install them using directions provided. They will have you delete the old driver (which doesnt use the ATi Catalyst Control Center) and reinstall the new ATi driver with CCC included.

in order for my rig to recognize the settings i had to:

delete my driver using Synaptic (just put ATi in the search bar, the prog sould be called xserver-xorg-video-...(yourversion) or something along those lines...

after deleting, restart your rig... and look at the directions in the pdf sent with the driver... you can either run this package automatic or command line... I chose GUI so i could see which screen was which in the setup... after that its pretty straight forward...

once you have GUI open, there will b a tab called display manager, that is where you can setup how you would like your screens to interact with each other... next to the number of the screens you will see an arrow, that is how you tell the driver if you want 1 big screen 2 cloned screens and so on... BigDesktop is the name of the setting that allow for dual independt screens... finally go down to properties, and click the drop down menu for Desktop Area and chose which setting you would like... I wanted my desktop to stretch across both screens on 2 1920x1080's so my setting was 3480x1080... after that, restart one more time... and your settings should launch automatically... hope this helps anyone pulling their hair out over this like i was last night...

Hi,

I am glad that you were able to figure this one out on your own. I don't deal a lot with ATI video cards so I don't really know that much, about their dual monitor set up.

Welcome the the world of linux by the way.

Cheers!

no prob at all... im not quite new... but i have never had to deal with ATi/ 64 bit/ dual screens... that was a bitch at first... tried about every command line tool i could... but now everything is working great!! if i could only get my 3D to install correctly now haha

Back
Top Bottom