Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Is there a chance for damage?

I am going to clean my pins on my processor so I can test it on a new mobo with alcohol but I am worried that my may be busted processor can hurt my new mobo. also what can i do to the ram and video card so that I will not hurt them when I take it out. I do not have an antistatic bag to put them in so what should I do?

F4T4L FL4W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Is there a chance for damage?

Well, it depends on how you clean the processor. If you dip it in alcohol, probably nothing will happen. If you use an alcohol swab, something might happen. And why do you need to clean it? If its been in a mobo its fine.

As for the ram and video card, stick them on a wood table and they will be fine. Just don't let anything touch them.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I put too much thermal compound on my processor so it oozed off on the pins so I cleaned it by dipping a cotton swab and cleaning the pins. I was very careful on not to let anything be left on but I am still worried.
F4T4L FL4W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

As long as the alcohol is completely dried and the pins were not bent you should have no problem. I wouldn't recommend submerging the processor in alcohol (if I read that correctly.)

As far as the RAM and video card goes, as long as you place it on a non-metal surface and something that is not a big static collector (fiber surfaces such as carpet and bedding) then they should be ok as well. Make sure you do not touch the gold plated pins when you remove the hardware, and that is all you have to worry about. I would recommend that you do not wear socks while you do this work and be sure to touch a metal part of the case when removing a hardware component
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan View Post
As long as the alcohol is completely dried and the pins were not bent you should have no problem. I wouldn't recommend submerging the processor in alcohol (if I read that correctly.)

As far as the RAM and video card goes, as long as you place it on a non-metal surface and something that is not a big static collector (fiber surfaces such as carpet and bedding) then they should be ok as well. Make sure you do not touch the gold plated pins when you remove the hardware, and that is all you have to worry about. I would recommend that you do not wear socks while you do this work and be sure to touch a metal part of the case when removing a hardware component
neither would i
if i remember correctly i read somewhere that it would not be good to do that to the CPU
.......... hmmm...... let me see

like this
take a look at section 6
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._quad_wcap.pdf
thats what it was thinking of
<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan View Post
I didn't mean submerging it, I mean sticking it in alcohol that is just deep enough to clean the pins off.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
I didn't mean submerging it, I mean sticking it in alcohol that is just deep enough to clean the pins off.
Ah, well in that case, it is safe, but pretty tricky. If they look clean and free of thermal paste, I wouldn't do it.