Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #21
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
The apple is comparable to the Samsung s5 and the s5 is half the price.
Apple makes the phones as cheaply as they can. They do not pass that on to the consumer.
It's really not comparable to the S5 despite those stupid charts and you can't just assert that they make the phones cheaply without backing it up. And if you're going to say that Apple makes their phones as cheaply as possible, than you might as well say everyone does, because there is no difference in build quality from iPhone to LG, HTC, Samsung, whoever else. Remember that it was Samsung who used to use plastic (which is super cheap surprise) and then changed to aluminum and or glass, following a certain company in that regard.
__________________

jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #22
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
It's really not comparable to the S5 despite those stupid charts and you can't just assert that they make the phones cheaply without backing it up. And if you're going to say that Apple makes their phones as cheaply as possible, than you might as well say everyone does, because there is no difference in build quality from iPhone to LG, HTC, Samsung, whoever else. Remember that it was Samsung who used to use plastic (which is super cheap surprise) and then changed to aluminum and or glass, following a certain company in that regard.
Naturally all companies make their products as cheaply as possible, if they didn't the shareholders would get rid of the CEO very quickly. And you are right, the s5 has a brighter AMOLED screen with higher pixel density and a better camera than the Apple does, it is not equal just comparable. Apple didn't want the added expense of a watertight headphone jack and so they just got rid of it completely to be able to compete with the ratings on the S5 (which has the more expensive watertight jack). If my phone back got damaged and needed to be replaced, I'd be glad it was plastic (it's actually a very durable nylon and plastic resin) and not metal. The backs are so easily replaced with any number of aftermarket backs made from metal, plastics, or even carbon fiber I don't see it as a bad thing when it allows me to swap batteries when it gets low and I want to keep using the phone and can't charge it right away or replace a bad one in a couple years, I see it as a positive and never liked the cold feel of a metal backed phone personally. I generally replace the backs or put the phone in a case anyways so it's not a consideration when comparing value for me.

For a phone with, as you pointed out, no better build quality and fewer features to charge twice the cost, it should be a no brainer which is a better value.
I don't expect you to change your mind and suddenly see the light, but what I am saying is all out there for you to research and see for yourself. If you love Apple and just buy it because of that love and pay no attention to other factors, that's fine, in fact it makes me money as an Apple stockholder, so go right ahead and keep transferring money from your account to mine. But please don't insult my intelligence by saying Apple has a better product and is worth the cost.
iphone 7 plus lacks the heart rate monitor (which some don't even use, I do before during and after daily workouts) lacks the brightness and pixel density (although the screen is slightly larger) doesn't use AMOLED tech, lacks standard hdmi ports, headphone jack, doesn't include Pedometer, Hall, Gesture, Step detector, Step counter sensors, lacks notification service lights, iphone plus does have Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning that s5 doesn't and depending on how much you want to be track-able when carrying your phone this is either good or bad, and the 7 plus msrp is $969.00. You can get a brand new unlocked S5 for $250.00.

This is not the complete comparison by any means, just some points that I noticed off hand. The complete comparison is here I found the S% screen brightness stat from here since the other comparison left that out and this site did the actual testing and didn't rely on numbers reported by the companies which can often be skewed.
This isn't anything personal, and as I said I personally hope everyone buys Apple's products and lots of them, but I also like to be fair.
Just sayin'.
__________________

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #23
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,577
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

The health monitor equipment being "integrated" into the phone does not in anyway add to the experience of owning the Samsung. It's far more practical to have a wearable (hint: iWatch) which records the data onto a smaller device which then syncs with the phone at your convenience. If I go out for a run, I want an instant heartrate check at a particular moment, I don't even want to be carrying a big bulky phone.

I can't tell the difference between iPhone 7 and Samsung screens to be honest with you, it's got to the point where they're virtual indistinguishable anyway.

I'm not claiming the iPhone is worth the cost, but the Samsung isn't worth the cost either. I would sooner go out and buy a more budget spec phone running iOS, like I would prefer to buy a cheaper Android device if I went that route. However, a cheaper iOS device isn't available, so I pay the premium for the user experience and interface I like.

This is really a case of opinion vs opinion, happy to encourage a healthy debate but it's never going to be settled, it's like the Xbox vs Playstation argument, or PES vs FIFA, Vinyl vs CD etc!

I don't doubt the Samsung is an equally premium product, my personal preference is iOS, that's it
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,878
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
If I go out for a run, ... I don't even want to be carrying a big bulky phone.
lets be honest now, I bet you do.

Almost everyone going for a run takes their phone.

because there is very little value in music only devices now, most people don't have them, every time you see a runner with headphones, almost guaranteed, they have their phone with them.

People literally sleep with their phones, waking up to check them in the night.
they are so intrinsic to modern life that to some people it's impossible to think of going anywhere without them. a genuine panic when the battery is low.

So yeah, I bet you do take your phone out for a run.


on the other hand, I've never much been one for all that health tracking bull, so I won't miss a tiny health lab either.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #25
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
The health monitor equipment being "integrated" into the phone does not in anyway add to the experience of owning the Samsung. It's far more practical to have a wearable (hint: iWatch) which records the data onto a smaller device which then syncs with the phone at your convenience. If I go out for a run, I want an instant heartrate check at a particular moment, I don't even want to be carrying a big bulky phone.

I can't tell the difference between iPhone 7 and Samsung screens to be honest with you, it's got to the point where they're virtual indistinguishable anyway.

I'm not claiming the iPhone is worth the cost, but the Samsung isn't worth the cost either. I would sooner go out and buy a more budget spec phone running iOS, like I would prefer to buy a cheaper Android device if I went that route. However, a cheaper iOS device isn't available, so I pay the premium for the user experience and interface I like.

This is really a case of opinion vs opinion, happy to encourage a healthy debate but it's never going to be settled, it's like the Xbox vs Playstation argument, or PES vs FIFA, Vinyl vs CD etc!

I don't doubt the Samsung is an equally premium product, my personal preference is iOS, that's it
In my opinion getting more features at a lower cost is a better value. I guess your opinion is that paying more for less is a better value.
I also forgot that the Apple watch is free now when you buy an iPhone. With the s5 I don't need to buy anything more to use the feature. Total cost stays at 250.00.

Apple iphone cost jumps to $1,269.00-$1,319.00 unless you opt for the gold edition, then it's only $11,469 and I get a sweaty little piece of plastic with all the functionality of a shortcut on my desktop strapped to my wrist, leaving a pale, untanned stripe as an added bonus. Personally I'd rather have slightly better equipment and a thousand dollars in my pocket or 10 more shares of Apple stock.

Of course if you want to run iOS apps and have the ios ecperience on an Android device, you can always download and install the iOS emulator apk, and still have the extra cash.

And your argument is that which one is a better value is just a matter of opinion. Like its a matter of opinion if 2+2=4 or if it equals some other number... I suppose you must have flunked out of both math and economics classes eh? Well stay in school because you'll need to get a great paying job to buy the next generation of Crappel iJunk.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #26
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,577
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
lets be honest now, I bet you do.

Almost everyone going for a run takes their phone.
No I don't. I don't listen to music when I run.
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #27
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,577
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #28
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #29
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Evidently the cartoonist doesn't know that a democracy is majority rule. I don't believe the majority of iPhone buyers want some of those features, but most would like the headphone jack I bet
. There are some other features there that would be nice too like dual os and removable battery but the majority of people do not use punch cards or 8 tracks or want view master support. I am not sure why someone would think they do.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,878
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
yes saying a headphone jack would be good.

you know because it's (as apple said in their keynote) the most ubiquitous audio connector, it's available on everything from budget headphones to auxiliary connectors on cars, it's useful for connecting near field card readers as well as audio...

you know people have thousands of dollars invested in equipment with that connector.


is exactly like saying
"huuh huh Yeah, and RCA connectors and 8 tracks, and viewmaters, AA batteries etc"

For what it's worth, Radio wouldn't be a bad shout, most phones do already contain the ability to do it (confirmed in a load of Android PDAs where the difference between versions with and without in the range is just a software update for the standard radio receiver chip!)
(with software defined radios it's just a lack of imagination, and wanting you to buy product from apple/google play that makes this unavailable.)


and as it goes mag safe lightening connector would also be pretty sweet. (and I still can't understand why magsafe wasn't used when the connector was changed from the old wide connector.)

as for fire-wire ports. apple did see fit to include those in the original iphone on that big wide 30 pin connector, (you used to get audio out, audio in, video, Serial USB and Firewire)

As has been said, every release gets a little less featured.
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0