Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
My theory.

save the technology experience enhancing bull.


Wires offer a better listening experience. I'm not talking gold plated snake oil here, it's just a simple fact that at this point in time, there is not a commonly used blutooth compression algorithm that offers the same bandwidth as a wire. assuming the DAC in the phone is any good (and it wasn't great in the last few apple phones anyway) then the cabled headphone experience was (and still is) a better listening experience.

as you have pointed out the adapter experience is going to leave the "UX" lacking.

It seems strange.
here we have a company that literally prides itself on making stuff that's easy to use, simple, minimal, intuitive going the same way as nokia trying to put all data and audio on a single port and bundling adapters with the product...


its the company that was rebuilt on the back of music, and the Ipod, listening to music isn't something unique to apple. but it's almost singularly what saved them from bankruptcy... and it's like they just forgot that...

So yes. Wires do offer a better listening experience. I'm not denying that. Also as you said, there's no unifying bluetooth compression protocol that produces the same quality of sound reproduction. But maybe Apple has a protocol like that in their new DAC OR they are trying to push companies to create said protocol. If we can stream 4K content I don't see why someone can't improve bluetooth software to deliver comparable audio to wireless. I've used wireless headphones before and they're pretty darn good, they are just too expensive and battery life needs to be improved. So this goes back to my theory that Apple may just be trying to push new tech (while simultaneously making tons of money).

A lot of today's tech is stagnant. Each new phone that has come out from both camps in the past few years is derivative and only makes incremental changes. Battery life really hasn't gotten all that much better; phones last most people about 12-13 hours depending on usage and that has been the case for years. Wired headphones are still the norm. Now obviously tech can't make major leaps all the time but the cellphone sector is really due for some big advancements.

I think it's safe to say that Apple isn't the same without Steve Jobs. Love him or hate him, the guy was a visionary and was invested in the development of newer, better technology.
__________________

jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #12
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
So yes. Wires do offer a better listening experience. I'm not denying that. Also as you said, there's no unifying bluetooth compression protocol that produces the same quality of sound reproduction. But maybe Apple has a protocol like that in their new DAC OR they are trying to push companies to create said protocol. If we can stream 4K content I don't see why someone can't improve bluetooth software to deliver comparable audio to wireless. I've used wireless headphones before and they're pretty darn good, they are just too expensive and battery life needs to be improved. So this goes back to my theory that Apple may just be trying to push new tech (while simultaneously making tons of money).

A lot of today's tech is stagnant. Each new phone that has come out from both camps in the past few years is derivative and only makes incremental changes. Battery life really hasn't gotten all that much better; phones last most people about 12-13 hours depending on usage and that has been the case for years. Wired headphones are still the norm. Now obviously tech can't make major leaps all the time but the cellphone sector is really due for some big advancements.

I think it's safe to say that Apple isn't the same without Steve Jobs. Love him or hate him, the guy was a visionary and was invested in the development of newer, better technology.
The way to advance technology is not to strip out features of current tech. Apple is not nor has it ever been about high quality products, they sell products made in China and we all know that China is not the source for high end electronics, that is south Korea and some components from Japan are currently the best on the global market (capacitors, etc.)
My Android phone will last for 4 days with watching a movie each night in bed when camping on a 5000mah battery. It's made in the USA.
__________________

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,580
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Battery life is ALWAYS a compromise. A battery takes up space in a phone, the larger the battery is, the heavier and larger the phone is. There's no getting round this. There is no "miracle" battery technology around these days that changes this fact. The Android phone you talk about must have a larger area to store a battery, fact.
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Battery life is ALWAYS a compromise. A battery takes up space in a phone, the larger the battery is, the heavier and larger the phone is. There's no getting round this. There is no "miracle" battery technology around these days that changes this fact. The Android phone you talk about must have a larger area to store a battery, fact.
Yes that's true but my big issue is that batteries haven't made significant advancements in years. They've gotten more refined I suppose but li-ion tech has been mainstream for about 20 years (technically has been around since 1980). That's a very long lifespan. Aluminum-air batteries are the future (they can hold a far greater charge) but currently they don't generate enough voltage. Battery life is probably the number 1 issue people have with laptops, tablets, phones, etc. There's plenty of money to be made in battery production so idk why things haven't advanced more rapidly.

As for the statement about Apple not being high quality I disagree. iPhones have their parts manufactured in countries all over the world. Germany, USA, China, Japan, South Korea, etc. I just read that 200 individual parts are all manufactured separately and come together to make the phone. It's built in China and a lot of parts are from China because, surprise, it's a lot cheaper, which makes the phone more affordable for us. Everything would be a whole lot more expensive if it was manufactured in the US (but we won't get into that). The critical components like the Touch ID sensor, display, and others come from top manufacturers. TMSC or Samsung manufactures the SOC for example. Also the iphone is made out of aluminum, which isn't a cheap metal. I wouldn't say that Samsung, HTC, LG, or others make a higher quality phone than Apple nor would I say the converse. They're all about equal.

I also think the statement that Apple isn't nor has ever been about high quality products is absurd. Apple's bottom line is premium. They don't do budget or affordable. Sure they're overpriced and sometimes they really cut corners in their computers, but I would say that Apple is known for quality. It wasn't Apple that used to make cheap looking plastic top end smartphones...
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Battery life is ALWAYS a compromise. A battery takes up space in a phone, the larger the battery is, the heavier and larger the phone is. There's no getting round this. There is no "miracle" battery technology around these days that changes this fact. The Android phone you talk about must have a larger area to store a battery, fact.
Of course, that is another benefit of a larger phone, besides fitting in a man's hand better and being more comfortable, it also has a longer lasting battery. Those are all selling points to me. It also has a larger screen, another plus. with Apple there is just not enough to choose from IMO.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
Yes that's true but my big issue is that batteries haven't made significant advancements in years. They've gotten more refined I suppose but li-ion tech has been mainstream for about 20 years (technically has been around since 1980). That's a very long lifespan. Aluminum-air batteries are the future (they can hold a far greater charge) but currently they don't generate enough voltage. Battery life is probably the number 1 issue people have with laptops, tablets, phones, etc. There's plenty of money to be made in battery production so idk why things haven't advanced more rapidly.

As for the statement about Apple not being high quality I disagree. iPhones have their parts manufactured in countries all over the world. Germany, USA, China, Japan, South Korea, etc. I just read that 200 individual parts are all manufactured separately and come together to make the phone. It's built in China and a lot of parts are from China because, surprise, it's a lot cheaper, which makes the phone more affordable for us. Everything would be a whole lot more expensive if it was manufactured in the US (but we won't get into that). The critical components like the Touch ID sensor, display, and others come from top manufacturers. TMSC or Samsung manufactures the SOC for example. Also the iphone is made out of aluminum, which isn't a cheap metal. I wouldn't say that Samsung, HTC, LG, or others make a higher quality phone than Apple nor would I say the converse. They're all about equal.

I also think the statement that Apple isn't nor has ever been about high quality products is absurd. Apple's bottom line is premium. They don't do budget or affordable. Sure they're overpriced and sometimes they really cut corners in their computers, but I would say that Apple is known for quality. It wasn't Apple that used to make cheap looking plastic top end smartphones...
Yeah, I hope you don't really believe they are building them in China to benefit the customer, you couldn't be that gullible...could you? They are built there to increase profit on an already overpriced piece of junk. lol
I own Apple stock, not because they slash their profits and cut their prices to benefit customers, but because they price gouge and make a lot of money for me, but I won't buy their crappy products when you can find so many better options in the market today.
Apples bottom line has never been premium, it has always been about perceived value and that is very different from actual value but they sell to consumers that lack the savvy to see that fact. When I was selling my paintings through the market crash of 09, I saw that the paintings with prices between 100.00 and 10,000.00 were no longer moving, but the ones priced over 10,000.00 never slowed down, so I just increased my prices and kept right on selling to those that wanted to be able to say they paid a premium price for the painting on the wall. Was it really worth more? No, it was the same painting that didn't sell for 5,000.00 but now it sold for 25,000.00.
Go figure.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,580
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Apples bottom line has never been premium, it has always been about perceived value and that is very different from actual value but they sell to consumers that lack the savvy to see that fact.
Ah, not in all cases. I actually prefer the user interface of iOS. This is pretty much the only thing I took into account when I bought an iPhone. I barely looked at the cost involved.
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #18
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Ah, not in all cases. I actually prefer the user interface of iOS. This is pretty much the only thing I took into account when I bought an iPhone. I barely looked at the cost involved.
That's the point. Consumers that are concerned with the actual value of the product and compare products based on the value they offer will opt to buy other than Apple. Those that just buy what they want to regardless of price: value ratio may still buy Apple. It's perceived value is much higher than its actual value.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
That's the point. Consumers that are concerned with the actual value of the product and compare products based on the value they offer will opt to buy other than Apple. Those that just buy what they want to regardless of price: value ratio may still buy Apple. It's perceived value is much higher than its actual value.
Ok so first I just want to address the manufacturing in China point you made earlier. Obviously they don't do it for consumer benefit but it DOES make a positive impact on consumers all the same because it makes the product cheaper. If everything that was made in China was made here, everything would be absurdly expensive.

If apple wasn't about premium why would they use high grade aluminum to build their phones? Why would they spend so much time optimizing their OS, always pushing out fixes the second they come out? Why would they release just two phones, both of which utilize the latest and greatest tech?

And if we're talking price, the iphone 7 base model is 650 dollars unlocked vs 550 base model unlocked for the S7. Considering the S7 has been out for 6 months, that's not bad. You said that people will opt to buy something other than an iPhone if value is their biggest deciding factor, which isn't necessarily true. But anyway these people would then avoid Samsung too right? They're just as expensive. Finally, perceived value of almost everything is higher than the actual value because that's how businesses work. The iPhone isn't worth anywhere close to what you spend and neither is any other flagship made by any other manufacturer. Everything is overpriced because companies want more and more profit. That's just how it is. Some things are acceptably overpriced (technology for the most part) and some aren't (pharmaceuticals, health care, education, etc.).
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #20
In Runtime
 
Technician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: US
Posts: 388
Default Re: Theory on headphone jack removal

The apple is comparable to the Samsung s5 and the s5 is half the price.
Apple makes the phones as cheaply as they can. They do not pass that on to the consumer.
__________________

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0