Testing CPU like memtest86+ tests RAM.

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
Hello guys.

Finally, a not off-topic thread by me :)

So, is there a way to test the components of the CPU directly like memtest86+ tests RAM directly? I want to make sure the cash memory and the controllers (RAM, PCI-E, etc.) in the CPU work correctly. I'm using an overclocking surviving i5 750 from a burned mobo. and wanna make sure it works correctly. Heavy grafix games cause the computer to give a black screen then luck either hangs the computer or it comes back to life shortly.

Thank you in advance!

You can test it's performance with pi and such

Geekbench
Cinebench
Prime95
Sandra

These are mostly for benchmarking but can offer insight to the performance of your CPU and let you know if it is operating properly or not.

They won't tell you what core is faulty, but replacing a single core isn't an option anyways.

If you already suspect it's causing problems, just replace it and see if it fixed the problem.

My doubts were for the controllers or the cache memory more than a core. All cores turned out to work perfectly. Depending on the core number, it could be possible to disable some, I think, but that's rolled out already, so I'm safe here. The rest was either checking the controllers or the parts they run like the RAM or the PCI-E video card. But I reassure you, I pinpointed the problem. It was the HDMI audio compatibility of the GTX 480 with my setup. Once I disabled it, things worked perfectly. Now I only need to find the solution after finding the (or A) culprit.

You think the video card's HDMI audio is controlled by the PCI-E controller on the CPU too because its signal is sent thru PCI-E?

I have never used audio from a video card but it will most likely use the same connections since there is no other way in and out of the card.
I use a sound card and dp connections to the monitor.

Hmm... just when I thought I rolled out a damaged PCI-E controller in the CPU.

Well I guess I'll just use the built-in audio. Luckily the mobo has one, and it seems good. Actually, lucky that's another spare computer I keep around. The main does not have this problem, and it has both a built-in sound and a professional Soundblaster card.

I have the SB card on my board too. My board and my video card has the sound capabilities as well.

I disabled them in the Device Manager so the SB will provide the sound solely.

I just set the sound device I want in the Playback Devices. Can be done so fast that no need to disable any of the sound devices.

Back
Top Bottom