Terminalogy question

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
if any one can explain what these terms mean or are that would be greatly appreciated
1) What is the Northbridge?
2) What is ATX?
3) What is IDE?
4) What is IEEE?
thanks for all of the help

right ill do my best.

ATX = Advanced Technology Extended

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics

and im not 100% on this next 1 but i think its

IEEE = Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers

hope it helps

right ill do my best.

ATX = Advanced Technology Extended

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics

and im not 100% on this next 1 but i think its

IEEE = Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers

hope it helps

can you explain what the ATX & IDE is? what it is composed of and what they do?

ATX is just a form factor for cases. Also, it is used to describe the power connector to a mobo.

IDE used to be the standard way of connecting an HDD to a mobo, but is now replaced by Serial ATA cables.

To add to the ATX terminology, it is the most widely used standard and currently most suited for power users as the motherboard typically of this form factor have more advanced features than others.

oh sorry about that i didnt realise u wanted definitions :O

but yes as they are saying

IDE = what used to be the standard way to connect hardrives to motherboard. but is still widely used for CD / DVD Drives.

ATX = is the most popular motherboard form factor you have to buy cases to match and power supplies that are compatible

and the Northbridge is a chip that forms part of the "backbone" of the computer circuit - its what links the CPU to the graphics processor (sometimes the Northbrdige is also the graphics processors i.e. integrated graphics) - it also links to the Southbridge - which links to the BIOS (in most cases) and also peripherals such as USB etc - the Northbridge also links to the memory or RAM - and in most cases than not the Bus speed means the speed of communication between the CPU and Northbridge - making it an important component :) hope i helped too :D

oh sorry about that i didnt realise u wanted definitions :O

but yes as they are saying

IDE = what used to be the standard way to connect hardrives to motherboard. but is still widely used for CD / DVD Drives.

ATX = is the most popular motherboard form factor you have to buy cases to match and power supplies that are compatible

your fine
you got me started and it still helped

and the Northbridge is a chip that forms part of the "backbone" of the computer circuit - its what links the CPU to the graphics processor (sometimes the Northbrdige is also the graphics processors i.e. integrated graphics) - it also links to the Southbridge - which links to the BIOS (in most cases) and also peripherals such as USB etc - the Northbridge also links to the memory or RAM - and in most cases than not the Bus speed means the speed of communication between the CPU and Northbridge - making it an important component :) hope i helped too :D

wow thanks for that
now what is the BIOS?
and does anyone have any pics of an north or south bridge?
im just one curious guy
or if you can tell me an excellent book that has all of this up-to-date knowledge in it that would work as well

Northbridge and Southbridge are supporting chipsets that are permanently soldered to your motherboard. You can usually tell what they look like because they'll have a heatsink on them. Most these days use copper or thermal pipes. Pretty neat looking if you ask me. You cannot upgrade these so when choosing a motherboard, always look for what chipset you want. Via chipsets are mehhh. Choose between Intel and Nvidia chipsets. Try to pinpoint them on the motherboard with the description I just gave you.

BIOS is another permanent chip on the motherboard. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System.

All computer hardware has to work with software through an interface. The BIOS gives the computer a little built in starter kit to run the rest of softwares from floppy disks (FDD) and hard disks (HDD). The BIOS is responsible for booting the computer by providing a basic set of instructions. It performs all the tasks that need to be done at start-up time: POST (Power-On Self Test, booting an operating system from FDD or HDD).

Oh bloody hell, I'll just give you a pict of the Northbridge and Southbridge since I just ate a big bowl of spaghettin and meatballs:

untitledsu1.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm
spagetti and meatballs
man your making me hungry
thanks for the pic that makes it really easy
im a visiual kinda guy
and the purpose of the north and south bridge is to process and distribute the data to the graphics card(s) when in SLI mode correct?
or do they do more than that?
they must seeing as they are covered in a rather large heatsink are are even connected
thanks for all of the help

Back
Top Bottom