Temporary Internet Files/Cookies

g_k_4

Solid State Member
In the Internet Options panel, under Temporary Internet Files there is an option to "delet cookies". Now I know you should every once and awhile go through your cookies and delet them, which I went through all of them and deleted what I felt I should and that took an hour. So is it ok if I just go into the Internet Options and click on the delet cookes (i guess it delets all cookies), or will that hurt/mess up anything? It seems that the new computers save every lil' think it sees.

In my experience cookies are just nasty irritating things that just sit there. Their purpose is basically to make sites user-specific, you can be identifued and options become available to you yadayadayada... some cookies are used for tracking your internet history, which is not good, mostly for advertising but they can be used by the malicious for computer malpractice, for want of a better phrase. Basically, delete them, you can always re-enter passwords etc, they're just a beacon for hackers.

At least that's what I've learned, feel free to tell me otherwise if I have been misinformed.

Deleting the COokies should be done often; I wouldn't put such a pesimistic view on it as Mr_Roy did but still, you don't need to check through them; just delete them all.

I deleted all that I could... some cookies will not delet. Some things I can't view, like my MSN profile... it says "You must enable cookies in your Internet browser to use the MSN Member Directory service. To learn how to enable cookies, click here. After you have enabled cookies, click the button below.". I did what it asked me to do and I still can't see it, rather annoying.

My sister is having problmes with her computer... it's running so slow. I checked out what I could and her CPU is always at 90-100%. It's a Dell with a Celeron 2.2GHz processor, 128MB of ram and a 40GB hard drive. It's used for school work and she has classes online so she uses the internet with it also. It's running so slow I can't run a virus scan or anything on it, she is only using 5-7GB of her hard drive. I would just restore it but I dunno if she has the disc and she has all her school work that she needs on her computer. Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong/how to fix it?

g_k_4 said:
I deleted all that I could... some cookies will not delet. Some things I can't view, like my MSN profile... it says "You must enable cookies in your Internet browser to use the MSN Member Directory service. To learn how to enable cookies, click here. After you have enabled cookies, click the button below.". I did what it asked me to do and I still can't see it, rather annoying.

My sister is having problmes with her computer... it's running so slow. I checked out what I could and her CPU is always at 90-100%. It's a Dell with a Celeron 2.2GHz processor, 128MB of ram and a 40GB hard drive. It's used for school work and she has classes online so she uses the internet with it also. It's running so slow I can't run a virus scan or anything on it, she is only using 5-7GB of her hard drive. I would just restore it but I dunno if she has the disc and she has all her school work that she needs on her computer. Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong/how to fix it?

See PM.
;)

Back
Top Bottom