Temperature Alarm Went Off - Lucky Story

Lennox

In Runtime
So after I installed my new DVD drive, I closed up my computer and turned it on. I started to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (My graphics are set to max except AA, which is 2x and AF which is 8x).

About half an hour into the game, my temperature sensor's alarm went off and could be heard from downstairs on the other side of my house. I looked at the monitor and it said it was over 70°C (158° F)!!! I immediately switched my PC off and checked why it was overheating. Turns out the diode thing was stuck in my GPU fan.

Thank god for alarms. Just saved my GPU!!! :cool:

My sensor is some orange plastic wrapped connector thing. It looks like 2 wires almost touching each other coated in orange plastic.

Kinda like this but coated with the orange plastic.
098-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-diode.jpg

Oh boy, you got to watch where you wired them! I did mod my GTX260 with silver paste, but ran out...turns out I've used thermal paste...I've screwed it up. The GPUs fine, but I have to redo it over again...temps go to 85C! I definatelly don't like that temp!

Killed my 8800GTS 320MB not long ago due to improper heatsink installation. It was all over before I could do anything about it. :(

So after I installed my new DVD drive, I closed up my computer and turned it on. I started to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (My graphics are set to max except AA, which is 2x and AF which is 8x).

About half an hour into the game, my temperature sensor's alarm went off and could be heard from downstairs on the other side of my house. I looked at the monitor and it said it was over 70°C (158° F)!!! I immediately switched my PC off and checked why it was overheating. Turns out the diode thing was stuck in my GPU fan.

Thank god for alarms. Just saved my GPU!!! :cool:

if your gpu was 70° that is hardly alarming (pardon the pun), they can run much hotter than cpus, and 70° isn't all that harmful for a cpu either, although at those temps the cpu cores were probably in the 90s and about to shut down anyway...

My sensor is some orange plastic wrapped connector thing. It looks like 2 wires almost touching each other coated in orange plastic.

Kinda like this but coated with the orange plastic.
098-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-diode.jpg

Oh, that's not a sensor, that's just a zener diode. It allows voltage to travel in one direction only, if the voltage reaches a certain point. I would guess that when the temp sensor hits a voltage, it passes through the diode, and trips your alarm?

Oh, that's not a sensor, that's just a zener diode. It allows voltage to travel in one direction only, if the voltage reaches a certain point. I would guess that when the temp sensor hits a voltage, it passes through the diode, and trips your alarm?

if it matters, Zeners clamp a Vout to a certain set voltage level.

if it matters, Zeners clamp a Vout to a certain set voltage level.

I'm pretty sure there are 2 different types, maybe we're thinking of different ones? Admittedly, it's been a while since I've dealt with this stuff, so I may very well be slightly wrong :eek:

By contrast with the conventional device, a reverse-biased Zener diode will exhibit a controlled breakdown and allow the current to keep the voltage across the Zener diode at the Zener voltage. For example, a diode with a Zener breakdown voltage of 3.2 V will exhibit a voltage drop of 3.2 V on the Vout if reverse bias voltage applied across it is more than its Zener voltage. The Zener diode is therefore ideal for applications such as the generation of a reference voltage

Back
Top Bottom