Temp of GPU

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Hey i have two main questions.

GPU 9800GT
Processor Quad core q8300 OC to 3GHz from a 2.5GHz stock

1. While playing crysis 2 today i got a GPU max temp of 75 degrees Celsius. the card is not overclocked. is this an OK temp for this card or is it a tad high. reason being i was in the middle of playing crysis and the computer BSOD on me, it didn't give much useful data from the error. I thought that this could have been an overheat symptom.

2. While playing Left 4 dead 2 I noticed my core 0 of my CPU rise to around 72 degrees Celsius where the rest stayed at about 10 degrees lower. However the overall CPU temp was below or about the same as the lowest core ? this didn't make sense to me.

Are these temps ok ish ??

Update
I have just installed rivatuner and that give a totally different reading of 48 degrees Celsius for the GPU ?????

Anyone ?

the frist thing:
normaly if your graphic card overheats you will see some heatspikes first. so if you did not see any heatspikes (black spikes on the screen) then it is not overheating.
also 75 Celsius is not something a GPU should crash at. it is still i high temp... but... normaly you say that you should not go much high then 80.

BSOD...... that is most likly not GPU overheating. it will normaly downclock it self, suffer heatspikes and at the end freese.
however i have seen bsod on CPU overheating.

the second thing:
not all cores have the same temp. is simes like left 4 dead is a single Threaded game. so most of the calculating that game requres is done by one core.
(maybe it is not single threaded, but oversly the most calculating is done by the high temp cpu)

there are temature for each core, and there is another tempature. i think it is the heatsink tempature for the CPU. (not the cooler)
but i am not sure. it is always lower then the core temps.

however your cpu temps are pretty high. try clening the cooler for dust.
i tryed once where i had some problems with my temps. so i cleened it and it drobbed 8 'C in average core temp

hope that helped

GPUs normally can substain temps at around 100C, just to give oyu an idea. The BSOD might be an issue with drivers, if it happens often.

As for the CPU, well, like EchoNatek said, it's kind of high under load. Normally they won't go over 60-65C under full load. Make sure your PC is all clean and dust-free and that there's adequate thermal paste to conduct the heat over the heatsink.

OK thanks for both of your replies, helps a lot. its a new build so its not a dust issue however I stupidly used the pre applied thermal paste that came with the heat sink even though I had some Arctic silver 5 sitting next to me !

I Dont really want to reapply as I had trouble getting all 4 pins in as it was :)

Obviously I am over clocking the CPU so this would also increase the temp and it only happens with single cored games such as left 4 dead 2.

Also i think i have a solution to why I BSOD'ed. i was running avg doing a scan while playing crysis 2, after looking in the avg log it seems that it had picked up one of the crysis 2 dll files as a virus and automatically removed it thus causing my game to crash and cause a BSOD.

Thanks Again ;)

Back
Top Bottom