Temp. Freezing problem...

Even so 69°C at idle still seems warmer than it should be. The cpu temp is also elevated.

@ OP, have you been inside the case and checked for dust build up in the fans and heatsinks?

Personally i think you'll find your problem will disappear with a good clean out.

What is your case fan set up i.e. how many, what size, where they're located, are they intake or exhaust etc

i have a 80mm fan blowing in from the back and another one in from the side, and a 120mm fan blowing out the front. i cleaned it about a week ago, just checked the inside and everything is still good an clean.

your fans are back to front.

The front/side fans should be intake, the rear should be exhaust.

What is your cable management like?

Have you checked that all leads are firmly plugged in? you didn't accidentally dislodge something during the cleaning?

Did you remove the cover from the 7800 and clean the heatsink out??

they've been that way since i first got the case (a little over a year and a half ago, i've swaped parts up till now) and its never given me any trouble. And i havn't touched the heatsink. all i did was use the can of co2 you can buy at walmart and sprayed everything out real good. my cables are real clean, most of em are under my desk and non of them are blocking any vents.

OK, under the cover on the 7800 is the ram heatsinks, if you just blew the fans out with compressed air (you say CO2 but I think that may be an error) then there is no way you would have cleaned the heatsinks out, in fact if you didn't remove the card from the slot/pc and give it a thorough cleaning (dampened cotton buds/q-tips to clean the fan vanes, heatsinks etc) all you've probably done is waste a can of air. Never blow air on fan vanes to make them spin at an RPM that exceeds the max as it can cause bearing failure.

I still believe your problem is heat related.

If your fans work that way for you then fine, just let me say that 99.9% of computers are set up the way I mentioned.

Lol at the "my cables are real clean, most of em are under my desk and non of them are blocking any vents", I was talking about inside the case as a mess of wiring/cabling can reduce airflow and cooling efficiency.

As a matter of curiosity, which driver are you running for the 7800?

well i've never cleaned it that thoroughly lol. ill give it a try i guess. but i need to know how to do it. and i would flip my fans around, but the one in the front is nearly impossible to move, i had to bend part of the case just to get it in there. i agree, it does make more sense to have the airflow the other way, but theres really not much i can do about it. hah, i didn't really know what you ment by "cable management" so that was the best i could think of. lol i do have cables in the way a little bit, but i think they're as good as they're gonna get.

im running the ForceWare Release 163 WHQL
Version: 163.75
got it from the nvidia website

Well we can rule out the vga driver as the cause.

Are all your other drivers up to date?

I'm still tending towards heat being the cause of your problem. The video card should have some screws holding the shroud (cover) over the ram heatsinks that you can unscrew, then lift the shroud off, don't unscrew anything else.

That should allow you access to the ram heatsinks and fan to give it a good clean. I think you'll be surprised at the amount of dust build up in there.

To clean them use a dampened (just damp, not dripping wet) cotton bud/qtip to clean the heat sinks and fan vanes. Once all the dust buildup is removed reassemble and put it back in your pc.

When working on video cards I prefer to have a piece of soft foam packing for cushioning covered with an anti static bag. There isn't much that can go wrong if you use that method.

If you have any more questions just post them up, I'll keep an eye on this thread (pictures of problem areas are really helpful if you have a digital camera handy)

k, i cleaned it out, and now its temp is down to 50c. havn't played the games yet, but it looks promising!

k, now when i load CoD4 i get about 7 fps, all the time. but the temp stays down to about 50-52c

Back
Top Bottom