Tech Q's concerning a GPU!

oixo

Solid State Member
Alright, new to these forums and plan on using 'em! :)

A few questions since I'am thinking about buying a GPU for christmas for myself.

1) What do Stream Processors do?
2) What does Core Clock do?(MHZ wise)
3) What do Shader Clock and Memory clock do?(MHZ wise)

Sorry if these are "nub" questions, but I want to get the best purchase possible. Thanks for any advice/hep!

1) how many total shaders there are, very important in overall performance
2) its how fast the GPU clocks at, its kind of like your CPU speed
2) exactly like the GPU clocks but there the shaders\memory units.

Ok, thank you. What is the norm for how much shaders a GPU has?

Best I know to look for in buying a GPU is memory width and such. Don't go cheap if you are big on gaming. I always thought that the more memory the video card has, the better it is. This is true to some extent, but some of the more cheaply made video cards will have like 512 MB but the stuff that really counts like core clock, memory width, and other things will hold the memory back from being fully used. I'm no expert on video cards, but all I know is that Core Clock is basically how fast it will process things I believe; to some extent. Memory clock has to do with how well the video can utilize it's available memory. I'm not too sure on the other stuff, and like I said I'm kinda a novice to video cards as well and if there is anyone out there who can correct me if I am wrong, then I am more than happy to be learn the right things.

EDIT-Well, someone beat me to it lol.

Ok, thank you. What is the norm for how much shaders a GPU has?

there is no normal amount of shaders. if your looking to buy a video card just give us a price range and we will pick out the best 2-4 cards you could get. also do you live in canada\us\uk\aussie?

agreed, it gives you much better bang for your buck. what size of monitor are you using? its nothing really big is it, you should be fine unless its 23-24" then you might get some lag in some games,

Back
Top Bottom