tape drives

siggy

Baseband Member
Digging though a box in the garage I came across an old Tape backup machine connects through to computer through external SCSI lead

manufacturer Mountain

Model number 01-33060-01

It works (well the power light comes on)

Now my question is in this day and age is such a device still useful (probably not) You seem to still be able to get tapes for it (google search) what do I do with it?

Use it, skip it, or punt it on ebay

Depends on if you want to use it. If you want to back up a lot of data, go for it. If I remember correctly, tape drives are fairly expensive.

Yeah, and you should still be able to buy tapes for them. Anyone have any idea how much you can store on a roll? Or the size of rolls you can get?

may have a bit of a play see if I can get the SCSI card and an external cable to connect to the box maybe will buy one tape for testing purposes

Will probably use it with the 98 machine if I use it many thanks chaps

Hey did you guys know that hotels use tape backup devices to back up the system prior to running the nightly audit? The ones I worked with did 40 gigs uncompressed and 80 gigs compressed.
And did you also know that win 98 and 98se support a tape drive as a back up device?
The cost of a scsi card and cable might be more than you want to spend however.

Back
Top Bottom