Talk about Internet not working....

uid=[0]

Daemon Poster
So you hear of people randomly talking about how their internet connection drops every now and then...
Theres nothing like shutting a city down from internet access:D Yeh! and thats what happend today about 1:30pm this afternoon. A power outage shut down one of our central hubs, that supplys a city of medium size, about 80-100,000 people. Not a problem, we have backup generators right? Yea, we do.. but compliments of rain the generator and a faulty ground in the same building as the switches... What happens next? Generator shorts out, and in a matter of seconds around $150,000 worth of switches and other equipment POOF! Gone. So there it is.

you would know cuz you work at an ISP :D but you know...there are other ISP's in your town. u live in kansas or missouri?

Kansas side, and yes there are other ISP's in town, however right now we have just under 300,000 subscribers, and about 45,000 in that area that went down. :)

Yeah, I heard SBC Yahoo!'s DNS server building has like top-of-the-line security and it's like bombproof or something. Something along the lines of a very tough and reinforced building. :p Cool, nonetheless. :D

EDIT>>> It's now AT&T Yahoo! now that AT&T merged with SBC Yahoo!.

john123 said:
ArrizX, kansas city is in two states.

True, but I usually think of Kansas City being in the state. Before I think of it being is Missourri, or how ever you spell it.

alvino said:
Yeah, I heard SBC Yahoo!'s DNS server building has like top-of-the-line security and it's like bombproof or something. Something along the lines of a very tough and reinforced building. :p Cool, nonetheless. :D

EDIT>>> It's now AT&T Yahoo! now that AT&T merged with SBC Yahoo!.

Most of them are Brick buildings, with lots of backup equipment in them. For the most part, everything is cloned. Also there are other buildings, that are off site from the main, and randomly spread out, just in case one does go down. We have ours like that as well, but the problem is, the one that went down was the main switch building for that entire area. Had the main fiber line and everything in that building.

Back
Top Bottom