Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Question Take a shot at figuring this one out!

Yes, I am still on Windows XP. *shifts eyes from side to side*...anyways....

I need to know from you good people if Windows XP has been poison-pilled to go bad purposely, to force folks into Windows 7 or 8? Or if this is an issue with my desktop? Ok, so.....

I have a Gateway e4100 tower. I bought one off e-bay last October. Ran fine until something odd occurred around April 2nd. My desktop display, my browser windows, everything began to display on a slant. Like if you take a hair comb? And place it on a dresser the wide-straight-across way? Instead of the narrow-straight-up way? And then you were to slowly push the left side of that comb with your finger, until the comb has gone from wide-straight across, to tilted or diagonal? That's how everything appears in my windows Xp display right now.

This is the weirdest OS issue I've had to deal with in a decade. I've bought 3 replacement e4100 units and they all have the same issue! I thought it could be my hard drive so I switched out drives, and the issue persists. I switched out my crt monitor for a flat screen, issue is still there. I thought it could be a video card issue, but could the video cards be bad in 3 different PC towers? That would be some really bad luck no? Especially considering I've bought all 3 from different e-bay sellers. And the one I got today, is on a PCI express card instead of the intel on board graphics chipset. So can anyone properly diagnose this problem for me? What is going on here?

I have all the proper drivers installed for my nvidia pci express card, all the proper windows drivers, and my unit isn't dusty. Any ideas? Is Windows XP simply not working anymore as an OS?

Nikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Take a shot at figuring this one out!

Are you able to post a picture?

Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Smile Re: Take a shot at figuring this one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522 View Post
Are you able to post a picture?

Here's a screenshot. Not sure how good you can diagnose or notice the problem since you're not actually sitting at my PC like I am but here goes anyways...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wd4i9l.jpg
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Do you get the same behavior if you connect a different monitor?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Exclamation Re: Take a shot at figuring this one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
Do you get the same behavior if you connect a different monitor?

Yes, if I go from CRT to flat screen? Same behavior. If I go from one hard drive to the next? Same behavior. This is my 3rd gateway e4100 unit I've purchased off ebay by the way and it's the same issue. The first one I bought lasted about 8 months. Before this issue kicked in. Other two I got last week had this issue from the start. I've been thinking about getting a dell but the model I had my eye on that comes installed with Windows 7 has been widely known for the capacitors leaking and going bad sooner rather than later.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Try testing with a different cable connecting the monitor to the computer. If that doesn't help, try a different video card.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Solid State Member

Well my CRT has a vga cable installed into the back of it. My flatscreen uses a different cable which I can plug and unplug and switch at will. So that eliminates that possibility. As for video card, the latest e4100 I bought had two video cards. Intel on board graphics, and a PCI card installed. Both seem to be bad. I uninstalled the PCI last night, and rolled with the intel on board graphics card. Nothing changed. You think it could be just Windows Xp not working anymore? Does this happen with Operating Systems? They just fail to work properly after they get too old?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Wizard of Wires

XP is still widely used and somewhat supported. I'm going to assume you had all four running at the same location and they all developed the same issue at the same time.

Had any serious thunder storms lately? Like a nasty one on the 2nd of April?
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Solid State Member

Nope. I have used my comp while it was thundering before when I had an old Gateway ev700, and never had an issue. But would this be a video card or graphics card issue setishock? If Windows OS is displaying funky-like, I've heard it's always video card related if monitor problems are ruled out. I mean I've had 3 e4100 from different sellers on e-bay and the same issue persists. Could 3 different units have bad video cards? Even one running on a PCI express card? Also would some areas dropping support for Windows Xp cause the OS to just go wonky like that? I thought dropping support just meant you wouldn't be able to call customer service with an XP problem anymore.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

While I don't have a decent answer, dropping support has nothing to do with it. They aren't forcing it to break on purpose just so you'll upgrade.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote