Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default System will not load Windows

Just installed new mobo (details below). HDD's are from old PC and Master has XP already loaded. When I boot up, BIOS loads and recognises all drives but then reverts to Windows load options - Safe and command prompt etc but will not load Windows - just cycles back to the load screen. I've tried using an MS-DOS boot up floppy and this comes up with the A prompt but will not change to any other drive - lists them as "Invalid drives".

Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: System will not load Windows

Ah, this will be because Windows XP has a protection feature just incase you decide to move windows straight onto another machine, for licence reasons. This makes it impossible for it to load if something big has changed. A Motherboard would count for this.

I'm afraid you'll have to do a format of the one with windows on. You acn then set this as the master and the ones with your backups on you can set as a slave to drag data off.

I'm sorry about that
Hope this helps

Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
I'm afraid you'll have to do a format of the one with windows on.
How do I do this if I can't access the drive? Put it another machine and format there?
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Try to do a repair with your xp install disc. reset bios to first boot is cd-rom and then insert your xp install disc and reboot. when prompted to boot from cd "hit any key" press enter and then press F6 if you need the third party drivers for sata and scsi cards and then when you get to first option on what you wish to do click to install xp and follow prompts. You will then be prompted about existing xp installation and Here is were you want to start the repair option. Let it repair your MBR and system files. It will not mess with any of your installed programs. You will have to reinstall SP1 orSP2 and you will HAVE to reactivate your xp operating system. Good luck.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Team

You could try to repair the files from the windows xp install disc.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
per
BSOD

Just a follow up to lurkswithin's post.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.
per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Ahhhhh per,
much better said than me. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
per
BSOD

Hi lurkswithin. Thats the copy and paste I have been using for months. Got tired of typing it over and over. LOL! You are welcome to copy it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Thanks! I need it. I have so many note pad and word pad notes now because of the different ways that one must use to post links and messages it drives me nuts as to which one that I need to use where. If I had any hair, I would of pulled it all out now.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
per
BSOD

I know what you mean. I finally built a desktop folder for the ones I was always using at C.N. You are welcome.