System Idle Process

chougard

In Runtime
My computer was going very slow, and after multiple attempts to locate the problem, I formated and installed WinXP again. I was hoping that would fix the problem. It did not. I open the task manager and watched the processes. Firefox would start using 80-99% of the CPU after around 5 minutes of browsing. When it hit that I was unable to load any websites. Closing firefox did nothing. The process was still running at 80-99%. Nothing I did would end it. I could not reboot or shutdown. I had to hold on on/off button for a few seconds. So I got a different browser, and it happened again! Only this time I did not have firefox running. After a few minutes of browsing everything stopped. Looking at the task manager it was System Idle Process running from 80-99%. As I'm writing this, I'm looking at the computer that's causing this problem. Now System Idle Process looks normal BUT something else went up to 99%. Looking at the Task Manager again it shows System Idle Process at 99% again. What is going on here? This started happening a few days ago. Please help me! Thanks!

I'm trying to remove firefox right now.
Is there a way I can tell if my ram is bad? I have 3 sticks in my computer totaling somewhere between 610 and 620.

system idle is exactly that, its showing you what percentage of the processor is IDLE, as in not being used

Now it makes sense :)
Firefox was the problem. Ever since I haven't opened it my computer is working fine.

chougard said:
Now it makes sense :)
Firefox was the problem. Ever since I haven't opened it my computer is working fine.
what firefox version were you using? Try the new one 2.0

I was using the most recent version.
I think something has gone seriously wrong because I can't even install AIM anymore. It tells me my computer does not meet the system requirments. But it should!

640 mb of ram
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.50 GHz
105 GB free on hard drive
AMD Radeon 7000
I was told on a different forum to do a low level format. Is it worth a try?

Back
Top Bottom