System Check - thoughts?

xoso

Solid State Member
I'm about to order a new computer from Scan. I want something that will be reasonably quiet, have a fair bit of storage and ability to play the the latest games like GTA V and Codemasters Formula 1 as well as handling Creative Suite (mainly Photoshop and Illustrator but no real heavy 3D or video stuff). I'd like to think the computer will be able to handle most games thrown at it for at least three years before upgrading/replacing. I've been considering options for about a month now and think I've finally made up my mind.

It's based on the Scan X99 Carbon 1080 system. (items in bold are changes to the standard spec or upgrades)

Fractal Design R5 Case, Silent
X99 -A11 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 6800k overclocked to 4.2 Ghz
Corsair Hydro Cooler
16gb Corsair vengeance memory
EVGA GTX 1080 Graphics Card
650w Corsair RMX PSU, Silent
1tb Samsung SM961 PCIe SSD
4tb Seagate SSHD
Asus DVD optical Drive

Anyone got any constructive thoughts on the above system (apart from telling me to build it myself which is reallly not advice I need but thanks anyway) :)

I don't see any opening really. I just don't understand the overclocking to 4.2GHz. Base clock is 4GHz and TurboBoost is 4.2GHz :)

The specs could last even for 4 years and more.

I tend to agree with you. The overrlooking doesn't seem to make sense to me either, it's just something they do as standard on that system. I might actually ask them to just install it as is, without overclocking

I personally get my systems ready for over clocking, but I don't do it first thing. I'd keep it until it gets old then overclock it to get the best I could out of it even if little. Just the other day I overclocked my i5 3570K from its base 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz (boost clock is 3.8GHz) after owning it for four years now. I'm planning to keep it for more years to come with my GTX 680 4GB OC as long as games can still be played +30FPS on high-highest settings. I just finished Gears of War 4 on high-ultra settings on it.

Back
Top Bottom