Synching two machines?

Iridium

Solid State Member
I don't think I've already posted this here...but forgive me if I have!

I have a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is the main machine but I occaisionally have to take my laptop to class or on trips. I want to keep certain things on my laptop, such as a synched copy of My Documents, a few other synched folders, and periodic backups of certain folders so I can use my laptop to restore files to my desktop should I ever need to. Does anyone know of any good software to do this?

-Iridium

Just make a direct network with them, and then transfer over your files when you connect them up. That is easy and cheap!

Yeah, any type of network, or I'd suggest a USB drive. Just keep your stuff on that and stick it in whatever comp you need...

The thing about a direct network is that it's manual and I don't want to seek out the files I've changed by hand. Plus, if I delete anything from the desktop I'd have to manually delete it from the laptop too. I'm really looking for as much automation as possible.

However, unless I find a better solution...what all do I need to do a direct network? I've tried serial cable links and a crossover ethernet cable in the past(wayyy in the past though...), and neither worked for me. Do I need a small ethernet hub or what? I only have access to one ethernet jack in my room, if that matters.

-Iridium

Two words for you. Aloha Bob. Basically I have seen it on a QVC Special (lol) (on dells!!!!lol) what im pretty sure it does is you can hook up One end of the cable to your dekstops USB Port and one to you laptops and pretty much send files like copy and paste.
There is The Aloha Bob "PC Relocater" which is $55.00 at Amazon.com but seemstoo expensive for what your needs are its a software disc and i cant seem to find the cable. but perhaps you can on google or ebay it seems like a good tool.
Tell me if it works out!
Or like The other one said a Flash Memory Stick for USB would work fine.

Back
Top Bottom