Switching stuff from one computer to another.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, I have three computers right now. one old one, one new one, and I just got one from a guy for 50$. It is an old dell, but it has a 2.0ghz processor, making better than the old one. I want to take the ram, 80 hdd., and cd burner, USB 2 pci card, and ATI 9200 video card and put it in there. I have already put all that stuff in there except the burner and have come up with a bit of a problem.

First of all, the computer has W2k on it, and I want to put windows xp on there. But, I can't figure out how to format the drive :D . I tried right clicking it in my computer and formatting it, but it didn't work. Then in all the set up menus (f2 f8 and f12) there is no option to reformat it.

Now the hdd, I put it my old 80gb one, but the second connector isn't long enough. (The long connector.. you know how there are two connectors on one wire? Well, the first one is connected to the first hdd, but the second one is to close to the first one - to short to reach to the slave drive.
) How do I fix it?

The Radeon 9200 video card. I put it in, note that it is windows 2000, and I plugged my monitor in there but I notice that the color is 16bit, and that's the only choice I have. I tried to install it but it said "some file failed to install, restart the program." I'm not messing with that because I am going to put windows XP on there anyways...

I also never installed windows xp, by myself anyways, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Feel free to post anything that would help :D

BTW, I will have my main computer and this computer im working on in my room, connected via cross over, so I will be reading this as I am doing the other computer.

The sad thing is, this computer didn't come with a monitor, so I had to break up my dual monitors :( but oh well.

Been a long time!

Thanks!

-Q

you need an xp CD, than put it in the cd drive and boot from it, than follow the on screen instructions

Alright. Now, I still cannot hook up my slave drive because the wire adapter things are to close together.

The long, wide, flat cable - it has two long adapters on it. One of them is plugged into the main hdd, but the second long adapter is to close to the first one, so I can't plug it into the second one. Is there a way I can lengthen it?

Also, the ram. My old computer had a 512 stick and two 256 sticks. (I thought it had two 512s :D) and the old dell (that im switching my stuff to) had two stcks of 256, but it also only has two slots. So I put a 512 stick and a 256 stick in there :D. It recognizes it, but is it working? lol.. I've never heard of someone haveing 768mb of ram lol

One more question. I have my main and the dell connected by a bridge. I've had this set up before, and both got on the internet just fine. Now, the dell wont recognize the internet (I look under connections and there is nothing there). I tried plugging my main cable straight from the modem to the dell and it still doesn't recognize it. I have dsl.. if it matters to any of you.

--The internet question is the one I care most about...

Yeah, The internet doesnt work because I looked on the device manager and the card is not installed. the NIC...

The computer is an

Optiplex GX260

You'll need to change where the slave drive is in the case so the cable reaches or get another cable

768MB of ram is not uncommon

When a pc is connected to another via crossover cable the pc connected to the net has to be running for the second pc to access the net.

For the nic to work (with your modem) you will need to install modem drivers, the nic works fine as evidenced by the fact you have already connected to the net via the crossover cable, if device manager is saying there are no drivers (not sure but it must be running on generic 2K driver at present) then you'll have to look up the nic on the Dell site and d/load the drivers.

No, this computer has not connected to the net via crossover cable. I said I had this set up before and it worked, with two different computers.

I tried here

http://www.network-drivers.com/companies/294.htm

and here

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...ystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX260&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

I can't find one that works...

As for the modem drivers, why do I have to install them? I don't/didn't on any of my other computers? Just making sure... lol

Anywho, I tried some of the WXP Drivers, they install just fine, but they dont work :p .. I don't know what to do lol. I guess I can try the modem drivers, but how do I go about it?

Oh perfect.. After trying millions of drivers :p This one worked!!

http://www.network-drivers.com/companies/294.htm

No, this computer has not connected to the net via crossover cable. I said I had this set up before and it worked, with two different computers.

One more question. I have my main and the dell connected by a bridge. I've had this set up before, and both got on the internet just fine. Now, the dell wont recognize the internet ...
Doesn't quite read like that but nevermind, good to see you got it sorted

:)

Back
Top Bottom