Switching to SSD drive.

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
Want to change from a spinning hard drive to a SSD drive. The new SSD drive is bigger than the spinning drive. I should be able to clone everything to the new SSD drive correct?

Once the spinning drive is cloned to the SSD drive all that I would have to do is remove the spinning drive and reboot the computer correct?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Great.

Once the hard drive is cloned how do I let the computer know which one to boot up from?

Also will I have to install all the drivers again?

Go into your bios and change the boot order to position the ssd at the top. And no, you shouldn't need to reinstall all the drivers.

Great. So changing to a new hard drive and cloning the old hard drive to the new drive is not that hard.

This means that sometimes, if your SSD was formatted by something other than Windows' installer, it can be aligned incorrect

I would format the hard drive before cloning. Would be the easiest way.

You would need to complete the clone first and then follow the steps in Strollin's link to verify alignment.

The clone will completely erase the SSD and then copy the partitions exactly as they are currently. So regardless if you format the SSD before cloning, the partitions still be misaligned after the clone.

Some imaging tools will fix the alignment for you during cloning process. I use macrium reflect and I believe that it does this.

You would need to complete the clone first and then follow the steps in Strollin's link to verify alignment.

The clone will completely erase the SSD and then copy the partitions exactly as they are currently. So regardless if you format the SSD before cloning, the partitions still be misaligned after the clone.

Some imaging tools will fix the alignment for you during cloning process. I use macrium reflect and I believe that it does this.

Which version do you use?

Back
Top Bottom