switching processors

beachinit

Beta member
So I decided to buy a new notebook which I really love (Toshiba Satellite, 2.0 processor, 160gb drive, dvd burner, etc) but I did not get the duel core or HT processor and now I am really kicking myself for it. And actually my pc, which btw is a few years old but has a 2.8 processor with HT, is much faster downloading things. I am no where close to a geek but I have installed RAM and installed a new hard drive once in an old pc. Is it possible or should I say easily possible to buy and install a new processor with HT for a laptop?

What type of mobo does your laptop have? All you might have to do to get to the CPU is take your keyboard off.

Let me ask this, what type of laptop do you have? From there, I could do the necessary research to look. I will forward you the results that I come up with, along with the necessary procedures to replace your CPU. Let me know what you come up with.

beachinit,

I can't find a specific document on your exact model laptop. But rule of thumb, for most laptops, the processor is right-side-up under the keyboard. The processor comes out and goes in the same as a desktop processor (lever on side of socket). The first step is to remove the keyboard. I found a site that shows how to remove the keyboard on a Toshiba laptop. There is probably a plastic cover covering the processor under the keyboard. Look through this and tell me if this is enough information to get you going on replacing your processor.

Remember, the processor needs to be the same socket as your current processor, as it is very difficult to locate a motherboard for your laptop.

Here's the link:
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA55/SatelliteA55_remove_keyboard.htm

Let me know if this works for you.

jervin32189

Back
Top Bottom