Switching over Hard drives

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
Hey all,

Wanting some help...yet again...

Ive had trouble getting more hands on with my computer, all ive done really is clean out and dust out from my computer,
I havent had any confidence to actually remove or install anything, im too scared ill do something or blow up the comp or shocking myself, yes im bit of a wuss :eek:

I have tryed to remove my current hard drive and wanting to switch over hard drives for a while now but i cant,
Also ive googled for help and its not helping!

What i want to do it take out the hard drive im using now and put in my old hard drive not really wanting to transfer files or that, thats not much of a bother yet, and i dont need to install any OS's or anything yet its more to get into the swing of things and then i might be able to start on my new comp build and do it myself not sure yet...

So can you help me please!
I dont need to install anything like drivers or that do i?
Just unscrew the H/D and the cords and switch over to other H/D yes?

Should be simple :(
I dont 'really' understand about the jumpers/cords? Slave and master..

I think that if i was to use two H/Ds then you would need to set it up and slave(as to the master) im guessing but would i have to worry about that if im only using one H/D?

Thanks! :)

G.G

< Edit >
P.S..Hope it worked had trouble posting this thread

Also Thanks in Advance!

{im gunna have to bump another "asking help thread of mine" yet *again*..

~** Bump! **~

Wow!!... what 'n great and helpful response.... :rolleyes:
One reply! wow! :eek: ... :rolleyes:

I still need help i cant seem to get the cords(jumpers i dunno the right name) from the Hard drive, you know the ribbon type one and the smaller plug next to it, then id be right...'i think'
Why is it so hard to take off? Its a stubborn bugga! :mad:

Mr. F said:
I can tell you this.

Slave is the drive that you do not boot off of.
Master is.

Yeah i know that already im not competely dumb, thanks tho :)

G.G

yeah, those cables are stubborn SOB's to get off sometimes. the ribbon cable, just try to grab it on the sides of the connector (don't grab the cable) and wiggle it back and forth until you get it loose, it should come out then. same thing with the power plug (the smaller white one) just grab it on the sides of the plug and wiggle it back and forth until you get it loose. not too awful hard though, because you can break things if you're not careful.
the jumpers are easy, it should be written right on the hard drive what the jumper setting is. if you can't get the jumper out with your fingers or fingernails, you can take a small pair of needle nose pliers and gently grab it and pull it out. it should be set on "master" for your main operating system drive, and slave if you have another hard drive installed.
as for just being able to swap the hard drives with no problem, yeah you can provided that the other hard drive has been in that computer before. if it was in another computer and it has xp, it won't let you run it on another computer, you'll have to install xp again if thats the case.

I think I've answered all your questions
hope it helps!

Thanks again tommy boy, you are a great life saver yet again! Thanks *So* much!

Ill work on it after and i might get back here or something if i need anymore help but i should be right...hopefully..ikk :)

Tommy Boy said:
I think I've answered all your questions
hope it helps!

Yep sure has helped and pretty much all the questions i have ...well so far for now lol

Back
Top Bottom