Switching OSs, maybe?

toole13

In Runtime
So here is the deal. Some of you may have read some of my other posts about the problem I am facing. Whenever I type a document in MS Office 2007 or in any other word processor I have downloaded (AbiWord, Atlantis), I want to save it (obviously). So I click Ctrl -> S or File -> Save to save my document. When the window pops up to enter the file name, my computer locks up. The same happens with all word processors. IT IS SO ANNOYING. This started about a week ago, and there had been no previous issues. My other problem, which started to occur about the same time, is some of the folders on my desktop have changed their icon into this: http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/toolea13/screen.jpg

Also very annoying. I can't change it back by going to folder properties. So my main question is, is it worth it for me to go from Vista Ultimate, which I am on now, back to XP? Will I get less glitches? Will XP run faster then Vista? Will wiping my HD and switching to XP solve my problem?

So my main question is, is it worth it for me to go from Vista Ultimate, which I am on now, back to XP?
in my opinion, yes. But choosing an OS is pretty much just personal preference.
Will I get less glitches?
yes
Will XP run faster then Vista?
yes
Will wiping my HD and switching to XP solve my problem?
yes

However also reinstalling vista would almost certainly solve the problem you are having. You might have a virus or something similar, this would also explain the problem with icons. You could try some good virus scanners if you don't feel like reinstalling. I'd suggest avg or avira antivir. (not sure if this is compatible with vista) But it might be something else too. In any case wiping the hdd and installing any OS should fix it.

Like I said choosing the OS is all about personal preference. So choose which ever you want to, reinstalling should fix the problem you are having.

I would try wiping the HD and re-installing Vista. And like mammikoura said, if you don't have virus protection, get some.

not a big fan of xp home any more. i didnt realise how crappy it was for networking compared to pro. anyway id start with some virus checks, nod32 is always recommended around here, so why not download the trial. also try downloading ccleaner and scanning the registry for problems. basically just give your computer a good clean. if that doesnt fix the problem then either reinstall vista, or move to xp. again its personal preference like said above.

I think that I will go to XP until I buy some more ram, and then I will go back to Vista Ultimate. I am guessing that there is no possible way to save all my stuff so that it is still on my computer after I install XP...

I am almost certain that your problems have nothing to do with Vista Ultimate. I would say most likely it is a Virus of some kind. I'd say back-up what you need, wipe everything, reinstall Vista Ultimate, and install NOD32 or Kaspersky as soon as you boot up for the first time. On the other hand, you may never have gotten the virus if you had XP, I'm certain it is Windows' most reliable OS.

Back
Top Bottom