Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
In Runtime
Default switching cases

im going to be switching cases soon(i think to a full tower) is there any procautions i need to know about?...should i just leave my heat sink and everything on my mb while moving it?..my case right now is as loud as an airplane..so im going to buy another cheap case that i have not already messed up and soundproof it with some airplane sound dampining shit i have from my family working on airplanes and quieter fans.....sorry about typos

desktop:MB:MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX/AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 95W Quad-Core Processor/8gigs corsair ram/corsair 650w power supply/Sapphire HD 5870 2GB/ 2tb hd space/ 4 120mm case fans
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: switching cases

Yea, just leave the HSF on. Just be careful removing and installing the mobo. You could leave the memory in too, but I like to remove it so it's sure to be seated fully when everything is back in the new case.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
In Runtime

Just pull out all the cables and leave everything that is attached. This would be a good time to clean the board free of dust. Dont forget to put the motherboard risers in or you will blow your motherboard when you turn it on. Have fun and remember to plug everything back the same way. No left over parts..lol
(")_(") Control your computer, Dont let it control You!
joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

And remember to ground yourself by wearing a wrist strap, or touching the nearest piece of metal to discharge yourself. Make sure the case is compatible with your motherboard size (ATX, MicroATX) and you should be fine as long as it isn't a Dell or Gateway or some other pre built pc. If it is, you will have problems putting the stuff in an aftermarket case, since a lot of that stuff is specially made for those manufacturers.
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote