Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default switching from cable to dsl...

I'm thinking about switching from my broadband cable to dsl. Right now when I download games/movies/songs it says I'm downloading at 29kbs a second. I'm pretty sure thats slow for highspeed internet. Right now I'm paying $26 for this. My friend gets download speeds around 250kbs using dsl.

Now come the stupid questions. How do dsl connections actually connect? I know it has something to do with the phone line. I live in apartments right now so I don't know how extensive the transformation would be but I can't do to much to alter anything. I know the cost is around the same as cable but the speed would be way faster I'm guessing. I don't have a home phone(cell phone only) so would I have to turn on a phone line first?Any help/advise would be greatly helpful!!

saviornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: switching from cable to dsl...

Wait, are you sure that's the right speed for your cable internet? Seems awfully low for that type of connection. DSL uses existing telephone lines on a separate digital signal that rides along the analog signal for voice transmissions. There is a filter that comes with the package that goes into the telephone jack. You then, attach the phone line from that filter to the back of the DSL modem. From the modem, you use the ethernet (network patch cable) cable to the back of your PC (plug it in to your NIC card or built in Network Interface port). That's it.

DSL is actually slower than cable internet, but more dedicated to you. Cable can be ultra fast but if too many people use cable internet, your connection can slow down. Call up your local telephone company like Verizon to see if they allow you DSL even without phone service. I'm not sure on that one. I just use a cell phone too. Hey, wait a minute. You are in an apartment? You are in luck. I live in an apartment too and it's loaded with wireless signals here. You could try getting a wireless adater hooked up to your PC and see if you can pick up any wireless signals from other units. I'm sure there are other wireless networks in the building, if they're not secured.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Hey Corolla thanks for this great info. As far as my connection speed, The reason of this speed is because my isp(COX communications) gives you 3 different speeds to pick from. From 256kb up to 5mb speed. The guy that I talked even warned me that I might not be able to use Xbox Live because of my slow speed. I used to have the highest speed and it was VERY fast. It also costed over 50 bucks a month which is outragous. So I dropped it.

So right now I have the slowest speed and I'm getting what I pay for I guess. As far as the apartment free wireless thing, lots of my friends keep telling me to do the same thing but I don't know about that...lol.

Ok so if I read correctly, there is no actual work to be done on the phone wall outlet? Thats a relief. Will I have to get a different type of router for DSL? Thanks for your time and reply, they are both appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Golden Master

Not at all. In fact, my apartment manager recommends DSL, lol. No alterations to telephone line. DSL require a modem from your telephone company. THey provide that. A router is not necessary unless you want to hook it up to multiple PCs or if you want to use a wireless network. Routers doesn't really matter whether it's DSL or cable. It's just a Gateway that have multiple ports for your PCs.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Corolla you've been a huge help man.I won't be using a router or anything. when I use xbox live I just unplug my ethernet from my computer and plug in the xbox ethernet cord into the modem. I have to turn off the modem everytime of course so it can find some kind of address or something. I'm gonna make the calls tommorow to get things rolling and hopefully I will be running dsl in a few days.

peace!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Golden Master

Oh, ok. That works too. As far as the XBox is concerened, the router picks it up as another network device or a PC in simple terms. But unplugging it like that is ok too. Saves some money from getting a router.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

the one problem with DSL is the farther you are away from the source, the slower it gets. So if you are just in the outer rim of the service, it will be very slow. Just a heads up before you make your decision.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to r_moore04

i have a 2MB dsl line, and omly live about 1 mins walk from the exchange and i only get about 1.7MB or 1.6MB out of my connection. would u say thats bad? and is it somthing to do with the ISP or the line?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Older telephone lines have can degrade your speed, i'm on 3.5mbps and get REALLY REALLY fast and the exchange is far away
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

r_moore, that sounds about right. That 1 minute walking distance should take off roughly .3mpbs. It will only be the full 2MB if you are right next to the exchange in inside of it.

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote