Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Switching Between a MacBook and PC While Using the Same Screen. Need Help!

Ok guys my girlfriend has a situation... Her job requires her to use both an Apple MacBook and a PC. She currently the 2 screens and 2 keyboards. Due to security reasons the MacBook and PC cannot be networked at this time. Now for my question... Is there a way to allow her to use a single key board and single screen for both units. She has heard that there is a way to toggle between the 2 systems, but we have had trouble finding more detailed information on this. She would preferably like to use her Mac screen with her MacBook closed and be able to work with the PC as well. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Switching Between a MacBook and PC While Using the Same Screen. Need Help!

Yep, there is a way

This KVM switch will allow you to use i keybard, mouse and monitor with 2 computers.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Switching Between a MacBook and PC While Using the Same Screen. Need Help!

Thanks we'll look that up and see if it works.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Golden Master

Check the connection on your monitor, if it's dvi then the kvm I gave won't work, it has to be vga.

DVI kvm switches are a lot more expensive than vga ones so you need to check that.

Also you should be aware that your video signal will be degraded just a little bit when you use a kvm switch. It's just due to the fact that there is extra cabling and a couple more connections instead of the direct cable from the pc to the monitor. Anytime you add connectors to a cable the signal will be degraded.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Golden Master

You'll be using Mini DisplayPort from your MacBook, so you'll need to purchase an additional adapter to convert that to VGA.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
You'll be using Mini DisplayPort from your MacBook, so you'll need to purchase an additional adapter to convert that to VGA.
Thanks for adding that....

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Check the connection on your monitor, if it's dvi then the kvm I gave won't work, it has to be vga.

DVI kvm switches are a lot more expensive than vga ones so you need to check that.

Also you should be aware that your video signal will be degraded just a little bit when you use a kvm switch. It's just due to the fact that there is extra cabling and a couple more connections instead of the direct cable from the pc to the monitor. Anytime you add connectors to a cable the signal will be degraded.
She doesn't care much if the video signal is degraded so no big deal there.

Do you know where we can get that DVI kvm switch from? Is that something sold regularly? The guys at Best Buy didn't seem to know how to work this problem.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Wizard of Wires

Look online at www.newegg.com or www.microcenter.com. Just put kvm in the search at the respective sites.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote