Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 AM   #11
Site Team

Default Re: Surround Sound

Did the driver cd come with some test programs to show it off?

Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 AM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah, some sound cards do come with a driver cd with extra programs, but do note that cantona is using a motherboard driver CD for a motherboard sound chip which would have installed the sound drivers,
so I don't know if such a cd would come any, but then again, you never know Some probably do, so yeah, it might be worth checking.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
Daemon Poster

my soundcard is onboard with the motherboard and it can take 7.1

i tried wat kage said and found thta the setting was set to 5.1 and so i changed it to 7.1 but still no change
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Golden Master

Hmm weird, well that would have stopped it from only using a certain amount of speakers anyway, or atleast it should have done. Make sure it hasn't switched itself back, like maybe you didn't press Apply, oh and check on the back of the speaker that it is set to its real setting and not on fake surround.

TRY THIS:

Now, it could also be something else. Go back to the Control Panel and onto Sounds and Audio Devices like before, and instead of going to Advanced, go into Volume. Set all the amounts to the same as the other speakers and check that some are not muted or down low.

You might find that this might be the case since when you said you switched to fake surround, all work, and this would be because it would be working from a stereo system, and not from the individual sound channels so that might be why

I hope this helps
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 AM   #15
Daemon Poster

I did what you said Kage and when i went into speaker volume there was only Channel 1 and Channel 2 and they were both set to high
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 AM   #16
Golden Master

Ah...yeah thats how its like on mine too, but thats when I have it set to stereo. I haven't actaully enterd that menu in surround mode (4.1) but I thought it would be different then since theres more than 2 channels. Sorry about that.

Are you sure you've placed all the speaker ports into the right sockets at the back of the computer? (just to check since this could be a cause)

If this doesn't work, I wonder if the soundacrd or even speakers could be faulty in some way? Maybe you could try re-installing the drivers of the soundcard to see if that helps?