Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #21
Golden Master

Default Re: Sudden shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
raffaz, havent seen you around much lately.
i personally dont feel the need to spend a lot of money on stuff like this. especially when they are fairly low end specs.
Mine has "fairly low end specs" but it's still important to me, & I'll spend whatever it takes to make it as secure as possible. lol.

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

well if im paying 30-150 or w/e to protect myself its a bit much. my pc was 459 like a year and a half ago with a 17" flatscreen and stuff, so its probs worth about 200-300 now, its just not worth it especially when i dont have powercuts much and i just dont feel at risk though.
thats just me. if i lose everything on my hdd i could re download most of it and as for my work most of its on my laptop anyway

Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #23
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
Where do you live?, it's a little like that where I live on the Isle of Wight, England.
Central Florida, US. The lightning capital of the world!!!

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #24
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri

Sounds as though it was just a brown out that triggered a restart. Glad it's still ok though. If it starts becoming a common occurance though, why not invest in a small UPS? Brownouts wouldn't have any affect on it, and should you have a blackout, you'll have time to save your work and shutdown your system.

I'll have a look for a few for you, if your interested. You wouldn't need a huge expensive one, just with enough omph to suffer brownouts and a few mins to shut down in blackouts.

Here one, but 400VA at a max output of 230Watts. Should do most light, non-soupped up systems. 31.75inc Vat.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126404

Here's a better suited one I guess, supporting 600VA at 360Watts max output. gives you roughly (quoted from the Discription) 20mins uptime. 36.99inc Vat.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126405

Or a heavier one, 800VA at 480Watts max output. 45inc Vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126406

If at all your interested, I'd go for the middle one usless you've got a heafty PC to power. It's only about 5 more than the cheapest one but disproportionately better.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #25
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Yeah, but the cable-modem and main router are by my parents computer and not on a UPS, so my computer will be on, but I'm very limited on what I can do with it.
I have my network on a UPS, however my computer currently is not.

Remember that picture of that crazy huge ass UPS I built? Well i made one small engineering flaw, and yeah it kinda exploded a bit.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by connchri View Post
Sounds as though it was just a brown out. Glad it's still ok though. If it starts becoming a common occurance though, why not invest in a small UPS? Brownouts wouldn't have any affect on it, and should you have a blackout, you'll have time to save your work and shutdown your system.

I'll have a look for a few for you, if your interested. You wouldn't need a huge expensive one, just with enough omph to suffer brownouts and a few mins to shut down in blackouts.

Here one, but 400VA at a max output of 230Watts. Should do most light, non-soupped up systems. 31.75inc Vat.

Here's a better suited one I guess, supporting 600VA at 360Watts max output. gives you roughly (quoted from the Discription) 20mins uptime. 36.99inc Vat.

If at all your interested, I'd go for the middle one usless you've got a heafty PC to power. It's only about 5 more than the cheapest one disproportionatly better.
I got a 400 watt UPS outputting up to 660 watts of power Than it just cut out a single watt over.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri

Lol, looks as though I should really read though the thread, I didn't realise UPS had already been mentioned. Great minds think alike, lol.

Anyway Brookfield, since you said it's important to you and you wouldn't mind spending the little on making it secure, I hope the links are useful.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #28
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by connchri View Post
Sounds as though it was just a brown out that triggered a restart. Glad it's still ok though. If it starts becoming a common occurance though, why not invest in a small UPS? Brownouts wouldn't have any affect on it, and should you have a blackout, you'll have time to save your work and shutdown your system.

If at all your interested, I'd go for the middle one usless you've got a heafty PC to power. It's only about 5 more than the cheapest one but disproportionately better.
Thanks that's a great help, I'll print it & go looking in Staples, + 1 rep.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 AM   #29
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
raffaz, havent seen you around much lately.
i personally dont feel the need to spend a lot of money on stuff like this. especially when they are fairly low end specs. i have a power surge protector on my plugs and if i see its bad weather outside i backup my work anyway, and once the powers gone i will just unplug my pc's from the wall.
I would hardly say that 60 is an earth shattering amount of money to spend! Especially considering that alot of people spend thousands on their PC.

There are a lot more benefits to a UPS than just surge protection. Things like line conditioning etc. I use one because it helps prolong the life of my pc's. It also automatically backs up my work and shuts down my system if there is a power failure, something your surge protector wont do.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #30
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
I would hardly say that 60 is an earth shattering amount of money to spend! Especially considering that alot of people spend thousands on their PC.

There are a lot more benefits to a UPS than just surge protection. Things like line conditioning etc. I use one because it helps prolong the life of my pc's. It also automatically backs up my work and shuts down my system if there is a power failure, something your surge protector wont do.
Before the kick & explode, I used to just be able to run 6 hours without power. No need for software to shutdown