Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen
Default Re: Subwoofer shatter my desk??

Yes, it looks like it could shatter, i wouldnt take the risk of the money and the mess.

DJ Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:21 AM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Flux
Im getting a 10" active 150w sub to compliment my new system. I was also going to get a new glass desk. It's a very powerful sub. Does anyone think it might shatter my new desk???
Are u planning to put the sub on the desk? If so then I don't know it will brake or not. I have my sub under my desk and the sound is good, u shouldn't have any problems if u place it under the desk.

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 AM   #13
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

Yeah i was gonna say, set it aside or underneath.
MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
Wizard of Wires

It would take a lot more than a subwoofer would dish out to break a glass desk top. It being a 1/4" piece of TEMPERED glass will make it safer than a piece of standard glass. Tempered means it's just plain rugged. Being used as a desk top means it has to meet other safety standards also. The way the desk is put together adds to it strenght. If you're that concerned about it exploding the glass just put a piece of styrofoam under the subwoofer to absorb the vibrations that would be transmitted through its case to the glass. A very thin piece say 1/4 to 3/16 would do.
If it was me I would be a lot more concerned about damaging my hearing than my desk. That kind of power at that close of a range can do some serious permanant damage to your hearing.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:45 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

Lol i like music loud
Although the glass may not break or crack, it will most likely atleast vibrate or shake ...
It depends on how high the volume is and how close the speaker is to your desk ...
dyserq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:51 AM   #16
Golden Master

I don't think that subwoofer will do any damage to your glass desk. I have neighbors that have deeper woofers on their cars that crank it full blast at my bedroom windows. They vibrate pretty good, but no crack whatsoever.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #17
BSOD

I highly doubt you would have any shattered glass from that. For one thing, a computer desk is designed to be able to hold a CRT monitor. Those are pretty damn heavy. If that doesn't break it, some deep bass would almost definitely do nothing to it. Like seti said, if you're worried, set it on a bit of styrofoam.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #18
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to The Amish Kid

my brothers car sterio system is 4000w and he has never shattered anything so I dont think you have to worry
AMD Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551@ 2.25ghz(250 x 9) 1.45v cooled w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon | DFI LP Ultra D | eVGA 7800GT@ 465/1110 | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | 2GB G. Skill DDR 500 @ 250mhz 3-4-4-8 | 80 GB SATA + 40GB SATA + 200GB IDE| 480w Thermaltake Silent purepower | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (Black) | Windows XP Pro |
The Amish Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

it won't shatter...no way.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #20
In Runtime

I wouldn't worry, yes the desk will vibrate, but glass is more resonant than wood, it will react (ie vibrate) much more anyway. but it won't shatter, it's actually more likely that intense high frequencies will do the damage as opposed to lower frequencies of bass. I sometimes help set up sound rigs for events, concerts, club nights etc and have often had speaker stacks running into the kilowatts (RMS) sitting right by windows running all night.

semtex is offline   Reply With Quote