Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,946
Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Subwoofer

OK I was testing my sub, not even that loud, I could feel the walls shake though, but then the sub just started crackling and then shut off. By tapping the cone a little, it comes back.

I have a vid uploading right now...

Weird.
__________________

__________________
Juice
P4 2.4GHz, 1.5Gb, 40Gb.
PowerBook G4 867MHz, 1Gb, 60Gb.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Subwoofer

Looks like you need a replacement It may be getting stuck somehow or something.
__________________

__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
OK I was testing my sub, not even that loud, I could feel the walls shake though, but then the sub just started crackling and then shut off. By tapping the cone a little, it comes back.

I have a vid uploading right now...

Weird.
You overextended the cone, meaning the voice coil hit the magnet. This can often completely destroy the sub.

I have built in limiters on my speakers, making it impossible to do this to them

I however did also do this to a pair of 8" full way speakers, and they survived.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,946
Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Re: Subwoofer

Hm so like if I get a new sub, like an MTX Thunder 6000 12", will I be able to pop the standard one out and plug in the new one, and screw it back in?
__________________
Juice
P4 2.4GHz, 1.5Gb, 40Gb.
PowerBook G4 867MHz, 1Gb, 60Gb.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Subwoofer

Wouldn't that come with a new enclosure as well?
Subs won't work as efficently with the wrong box.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Hm so like if I get a new sub, like an MTX Thunder 6000 12", will I be able to pop the standard one out and plug in the new one, and screw it back in?
Yes but the box will be designed for a different sub. Putting a mobile audio sub in a box designed for a home audio sub isnt a great idea. Mobile audio equipment is made for the loudest sound in the possible space, whereas home audio stuff is made for quality
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Subwoofer

That's true Kage. The real secret to a sub is in the enclosure. The box is designed around the speaker to get maximum resonance. The higher end enclosures are ported to allow the max throw of the speaker with out getting caught in the back pressure. But then the sub has to have a speaker that can take the strain with out the coil jumping out of the guide and getting stuck on the front of the magnet.
It appears that Juice's sub will do just that. The end of the coil is coming to rest on the front of the magnet. A real simple way to limit the power to the sub or any speaker for that matter is to take a lesson from Marantz. Inside some of their high end speakers there is a small light bulb wired in series with the input connection. Some of the audio energy is dissipated through the bulb lighting up. I could play the amp at max and not once did I smoke any of the speakers. My Mach3's had the same arrangement.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
It appears that Juice's sub will do just that. The end of the coil is coming to rest on the front of the magnet. A real simple way to limit the power to the sub or any speaker for that matter is to take a lesson from Marantz. Inside some of their high end speakers there is a small light bulb wired in series with the input connection. Some of the audio energy is dissipated through the bulb lighting up. I could play the amp at max and not once did I smoke any of the speakers. My Mach3's had the same arrangement.
Yeah in passive speakers this is great. Active limiters are even better though
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,946
Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Re: Subwoofer

Wait so my sub doesnt have a limiter thing? Even my bose 201's have that... I don't understand why a sub wouldnt.

I bought it from PC Richard, it was a floor display, with no warranty, does that mean it's been blasted?

So what kind of sub should I get, I want to keep the enclosure...
__________________
Juice
P4 2.4GHz, 1.5Gb, 40Gb.
PowerBook G4 867MHz, 1Gb, 60Gb.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Wait so my sub doesnt have a limiter thing? Even my bose 201's have that... I don't understand why a sub wouldnt.

I bought it from PC Richard, it was a floor display, with no warranty, does that mean it's been blasted?

So what kind of sub should I get, I want to keep the enclosure...
Most home audio stuff doesn't. Putting in an active limiter increases price drastically, passive limiter can easily burn out and needs service work to replace.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0