Stupid Thing I Did When I First Got My PC

jashan17

In Runtime
When I first got the parts for my PC i put it all together and never put any thermal paste on it. I know, very stupid indeed, it was like 6 months ago. the temps were like 100c in the BIOS for around 4 seconds, then shuts off, did it around 4-5 times. Then I was like oh shit. Anyway, now I'm just wondering if the CPU could be damaged since im not getting very good temps with it (43c idle, Thermaltake 775d fan). I know its almost definitely a problem with the CPU if I'm not mistaken. Any takes on it?:cool:

Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? Maybe its too much/too little.

Also, an idle temperature of 43c doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. I had those temperatures on a stock Q6600, but only because my ambient temperatures are less than favorable. What are your load temps?

43c idle isn't too bad.
I don't see how the cpu could have been damaged so that it works fine but has a bit higher temps. :D So most likely the cpu is fine.

Nah I think them temps are still high, could you take a pic fof your inside pc so we can see if things are in the way? or maybe you can

43 is not high high but its still not what you would want it at, atleast 35c

just put some good quality thermal paste on and should be fine after a few days running it, not too much cpu-intensive stuff

I was too scared to do a p95 on it since the load temps i would guess would be around 75-80. I applied a fresh layer of arctic silver 5 on it 4 days ago. I'll try to apply some new "ZeroTherm paste" on it, apparently it works better for me.
Here is a video of my pc if you want to see my airflow etc http://youtube.com/watch?v=9aMwuu1aP5c&feature=inbox click watch in high quality...

EDIT: At one point in time I had the ZeroTherm paste on it and I had 35-40 (37 avg) idle temps. I'll try putting some of it on.

You really can't tell much from idle temps. My idle temps are anywhere from 30C to 42C depending on the room temp. Load temps are always the same. Run P95 and monitor the temps, shut it down if they get to high for your liking.

Nah I think them temps are still high, could you take a pic fof your inside pc so we can see if things are in the way? or maybe you can

43 is not high high but its still not what you would want it at, atleast 35c

As we've all stated, those temperatures are not *high*. It all depends on what your ambient temperatures are. I've got an 80*F computer room, and as a result I'll usually average around 40-42*C. Early in the morning, my room temperature drops to around 71*F, which results in a 27*C idle temperature.

@ OP, how much AS5 did you put on?

What method did you use to apply AS5?

Too much can be as bad as not enough.

I doubt you have damaged the chip, they're designed to shut down if temps get too high and you've proved this works. Realistically the only way to kill a chip is to overvolt it.

Sure, given enough time and enough heat the chip will deteriorate but that's a time frame of years.

@ OP, GhostGT & Antdemo

- At 19°C (~66°F) I was idling at 28-28-25-25 (Core Temp and Real Temp TjMax of 100°C)

- At 22°C (~71°F) I was idling at 35-35-33-33, full load (Prime95 Blend Test) I got 52-52-50-50°C max (see screenie)

hmm, seems like that Intel CPU has a higher temp than AMD, or maybe quads produce more heat then dual, i have a AMD, and its 13 degrees Celsius when its at Idle, and about 30 degrees celsius when on full load, but then again, i am not OC'ing.

Back
Top Bottom