stupid memory question...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
I am thinking of getting a mobo and it has 2 different sets of memory slots, 2x184 pin ddr and 2x240 pin ddr2, do they work together...?

so if I had 2x512mb in the 184 pin (ddr) and 2x512mb in the 240 pin (ddr2) would I have 2bg ram or would only one set work, thus making it only 1gb...?

to get 2gb ram would I have to max out one of the sets...? 2x1gb (ddr or ddr2), is this why the specs say that it supports up to 2gb and not 4gb...?

stupid question, I know, but just trying to be sure...

You cannot have both types of memory running at the same time. You can have either DDR installed or DDR2 installed, but not both at the same time.

You are correct, to get the 2GB of total memory, you will have to run two 1GB sticks of either DDR or DDR2.

If you have 4 sticks of the same RAM anyway it would make much difference anyway I wouldnt of thought?

Steff said:
If you have 4 sticks of the same RAM anyway it would make much difference anyway I wouldnt of thought?

:eek: ...

maybe it's just me or maybe because it's too early, but I don't understand what you're trying to say...

You will only be to use 2 of the slots, so get the DDR2 stuff. If your after 2Gig of RAM, then get 2x1Gb (providing ya mobo supports that). Have a look on www.crucial.com, and see what they recommend for ya mobo.

Steff said:
The speed of it I ment :p

gotcha, now that makes sense ;) ...

Raffaz, the mobo takes up to 533mhz ddr2, I was just thinking about that and the prices are pretty negligible either way IIRC, so yeah, I'll go with the faster set...

I'm starting to get the hang of this computer stuff, well, at least I think I am...

:D

Back
Top Bottom